new egg, literally!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jlasuzi, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jlasuzi

jlasuzi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I have never had chickens before. I recently purchased a silkie pair. She has laid 3 eggs and I want her to hatch them. Will she keep laying till she feels like setting?

2. chicken 86

chicken 86 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    If you don't have a rooster then the eggs won't hatch. You can let her sit on an egg for a few days and then swap it for a 1-3 day old chick or two. Any older chicks won't think that it is their mother, though.

3. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    chickens go on and off broody-ness. some breeds, like silkies, get very broody pretty often. But seriously, i think you should do a bit more research on chickens first. they aren't just little egg machines here for your pleasure, they are living creatures who need love and care just as you do. Their eggs are edible, of course, but they won't hatch unless you have a rooster with your hens, and even then you can't be sure if all your eggs are fertile. They need to mate to have fertile eggs, otherwise they're just un hatch-able. No, she will not keep laying until she feels like setting. If she really was broody, she'd be inside the nest box all day setting on absolutely nothing until she finally laid an egg, or some rocks/anything she can find that reminds her of an egg. even if she was broody, the eggs wouldn't hatch without a rooster. but roosters 1.) annoy neighbors/yourself. 2.) they're illegal in some places. 3.) you cant have a momma hen walking around with chicks following her in the same coop as a rooster. I suggest studying chicken behavior/doing research on hatching eggs before you get into that tricky field. [​IMG]

4. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    If you have a pair as in 1 rooster 1 hen then yes she can hatch the eggs. If you leave the eggs in the nest she will be more likely to go broody. good luck with your silkies. they are great little chickens and i keep mine just for my pleasure.

5. jlasuzi

jlasuzi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Thank you Debbiesflocks for your kind response. I have read several books and I LOVE my chickens. They are treated like royalty. All the literature I have never addressed just leaving the eggs in there if they weren't broody, so thanks!

6. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:I love my Silkie, Celeste if it's a girl and Blu if it's a boy, don't know yet! Have started incubating 25 Silkie eggs last night hoping to hatch at least 6[​IMG] so Celeste/Blu won't be so lonely.
    Good Luck
    Ayda

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:That's funny. My mother hen is walking around quite happily with her three chicks following her, with TWO roosters in the coop. Sometimes the chicks wander away from her and hang out with one or other of the roosters, who I have to say are both much more tolerant of the chicks than all my other hens, who can't seem to help taking any opportunity to have a sly peck at them...

8. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    Your Welcome. silkies go broody all the time. I gather the eggs daily and mine still go broody. Is she in a coop with other chickens? if so i would mark 4 or 5 eggs and leave them in the nest. then i would pull any new eggs from the nest daily.

9. featherful

featherful Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    For now, collect the eggs and she'll go broody eventually.

10. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:this was uncalled for. not a cool response. and i'm calling you out for it.

a) how do you know she hasn't done research? b) she's asking a question. this is a forum. if you don't want to help her without the snide remarks, then move on. please. c) you're telling her she needs a rooster. they need to mate. really? she said she bought a silkie pair. And, isn't it.....well, i'm stopping.

this is just horrible. i think you owe her an apology. we'll wait.

thanks and i hope you're having a great day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by