New Eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ErikaSmit, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    My 4 month old New Hampshire has JUST started laying eggs. 2 now! Are the first couple eggs okay to eat? Is there anything we need to do with the eggs before eating?

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

They are perfectly fine to eat! No special preparation though I do recommend cooking. [​IMG] Congratulations!!

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I would wash them and cook them. Congrats on the eggies.

4. ErikaSmit

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    Haha well, yes we would cook them. I can't imagine cracking an egg straight into my mouth!!! [​IMG]

5. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Congratulations!!! I scrapbook, so the first egg was a biggie. We took pics of it in the nest box, and next to a store bought (I haven't bought in ages now LOL!). Then we made the worlds smallest omelette, which I took a picture of, LOL!

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Congrats and photos please [​IMG]

7. ErikaSmit

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    [​IMG]

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Great isn't it? You will wonder how you ever lived without these critters.....

9. Germangirlygirl

Germangirlygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Kempner
    I just found my chickens first eggs today. She had 12 eggs hidden behind a woodpile. My husband thought she layed them all today. We went online and read that chickens lay 2-4 eggs per day.
    [​IMG]

10. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Quote:You might want to go online and find a more accurate site. A good laying breed will lay an egg a day, the more "dual-purpose" breeds 4-5 a week.

If you are expecting 2-4 eggs a day, you're going to be very disappointed. But, it is surprising how quickly the number of eggs in the fridge builds up. Only 3 of my 5 chickens are currently laying, and one of those only very poorly. Yet, we are still getting more eggs than two of us can eat and, we are eating/baking with far more eggs then when I was buying them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by