New Emergency- breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Johnbeau83, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Johnbeau83

Johnbeau83 New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Lynchburg VA
    Looking for a bit of guidance. I have searched through the threads and attempted thus far, but most I see exhibit more sign than this bird, who seems to only have trouble breathing with little other sign:

1)Bielefelder Cockrel 5 mos
    2) open mouth breathing,stretches neck out to breath, hear wheezing. Doesn't sound "crackly" -sneezes frequently (I think)or cough not sure the difference
    3) 3rd day
    4) He is the only out of 25
    5) no other signs of trauma. No mucous. No swelling. No blood. No visible signs of gapeworm from throat swab.
    6) na
    7) eating and drinking
    8) poop looks normal. Gave Wazine and poop contained roundworms today. Wormi g whole fock.
    9) Wazine wormer. Tylan50 on 2nd day dosing now. 1cc initial dose. .5cc every 8 hrs since
    10) treat myself
    11) attached pics
    12) housed outdoors in coop and free range during day.inside in warmth now[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Respiratory problems can be due to viruses, bacteria, fungus or mold, and worms, such as gapeworm and capillary worms. This sounds more infectious with the wheezing and sneezing/coughing. The Tylan can be increased to 1 ml if he weighs 5 pounds, and 1.5 if he is 7-8 pounds or more. Air sacculitis is a secondary infection that can occur in respiratory diseases, and that can be very serious. So if a vet is available, and he seems to not be getting better, you might want to see one for stronger antibiotics. Gapeworm and capillary worm will not be killed by Wazine, but SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 5 straight days will treat those. What color are his nasal secretions?

3. Johnbeau83

Johnbeau83 New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Lynchburg VA
    Thanks for the help. He doesn't have any secretions at all...? If I put my ear against his back, I can hear the wheezing, but it's not crackling. No sign of any discharges at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by