New emergency "GRAPHIC PHOTOS" HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chilman, Apr 6, 2017.

1. chilman

chilman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    I just found one of my silkies nearly pecked to death. Almost all of the feathers n her back have been pulled off. They started on her head and wings. She has a large hole very close to her vent. She is still alive. I had to bath her to remove all of the blood, applied vetericy spray, and diluted peroxide. I don't know whether to try and bandage her or leave the wound open.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    If you can pinch the skin closed, I suggest using superglue. (It was actually made for medical reasons!) Once it holds, you can go ahead and bandage it..
    I've used this for a turkey that had rubbed a huge hole on her chest and it worked fine!
    Keep her separared and if you can, within reach like in a garage or (if youd like) in the house

Sorry to hear about this poor girl. I hope she makes it

3. 2001chickybaby

2001chickybaby Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    Michigan
    I would probably bandage it up, is the wound below the vent? (If there is risk of poop going into would bandage it. Don't cover their vent though! Good luck..

4. 2001chickybaby

Jun 25, 2016
    Michigan
    Yes superglue is much better than a bandage.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  5. chilman

Nov 1, 2011
    Above the vent.

6. chilman

Nov 1, 2011
    Is there anything you can give them for pain? I know she is hurting?

7. 2001chickybaby

Jun 25, 2016
    Michigan
    I read you can give them aspirin (5 regular aspirin in a gallon of water)

8. chilman

Nov 1, 2011
    Any idea why all of a sudden she was being picked on? She has been with the same group of girls and and old rooster for about 3 years. Always been the reserved one of the bunch but never picked on. Always got along with the girls and never caused any problems. She was such a beautiful girl and I have faith she will be beautiful once again. One of my daughters show chickens...a grand champion. She is eating which is good.

9. 2001chickybaby

Jun 25, 2016
    Michigan
  10. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Are you sure she was picked on? Looks more like a predator to me. In how much time did this/could this have happened?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by