1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEW EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BestGaGa, Jan 2, 2017.

1. BestGaGa

BestGaGa New Egg

Dec 14, 2016
    My eldest hen, about 4 years old (White leghorn) appears to be having a major health issue. She can barely lift her body up. She issquatty and her tail is dragging. It appears that she has an egg or something blocking the egg passage. Her crown is dropping and losing color. She is eating and drinking and moving around, but has a build up of poop on her butt. Any help will be appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. BestGaGa

BestGaGa New Egg

Dec 14, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    She is Egg bound.Soak her in warm water with Epsom salt for 25min.She will need Calcium in order for her to contract the muscles.Things such as Egg shells.Oyster Shells and tums have a lot of calcium.Keep her isolated with food and water until she passes the egg.You need to work fast Egg bound hens usually die within two days.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  4. chickengirly616

chickengirly616 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Maryland
    @BestGaGa
    Hi. I just went through this with my girl but I didn't catch it in time and she was way more severe than I ever imagined!
    Did you get the egg out of her yet? I sure hope you had luck with that! Keep us posted on your beautiful girl. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by