NEW EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alice4, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Alice4

Alice4 New Egg

Apr 14, 2014
    I have a sick chicken she is a road island red,It seems like for the last two years doing the winter months she starts showing signs of walking like a penquin, standing long period of times, I don't see and liquid coming from her eyes noise or mouth. I gave all of the chickens medic and I throught she was doing better, but she is going back to the same way. Her poo is runny, she is eating and drinking. I don't know what else to do. Can't send you a photo wish I could.

Alice Lannen

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi Alice[​IMG] Welcome To BYC

When was the last time she laid an egg?
    What type of medicine did you give her?
    Is she pooping?
    How does her abdomen feel - hard, soft, squishy, bloated, fluid filled?

Walking like a penguin or having a penguin stance can be signs of being egg bound or having an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors.

You can try soaking her in a warm bath with epsom salts added in. Gently feel inside her vent with a lubricated finger (about 1") to see if you feel an egg.

Offer her some extra calcium (crushed Tums, liquid calcium, yogurt, etc.) and some poultry vitamins. Keep her separated so you can monitor her. Encourage her to drink. Give some chopped egg or tuna for added protein (in addition to her normal feed).

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by