New energy-efficient bator w/full auto-turner and humidity system- $14

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickenwhisperer, Aug 4, 2010.

1. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Picked this baby up a few months ago, and I guess its now time to see what it can do!
    15 eggs in already and I just set 2 more, its basically the "set it and forget it" model, even has its own "brain" that is now correctly programmed to hatch mode.
    I really didnt have to do anything but add the eggs, and even that was just like- get them close . . .!
    This baby has every feature the big-dollar incubators have, and more . . . totally self-sufficient
    And think of all the money Ill save on electricity . . .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ooo. I want one of those! Just a couple questions--how much does it cost to fuel that baby? And how do you handle storage? What else should I know before I rush out and pick one up?

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Think How Many Gamebirds You Can Infect With Disease At Birth!

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    What a cute little hen. I have a silkie hen that hatched out some babies in the coop. She steals eggs from the Marans and OEG and incubates them. Now she has to take care of all she hatched out!

5. chickenwhisperer

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Quote:Play nice nice JJ . . .

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    That Was Nice... I Know Where Your At In The Game And What You're Thinking... I Have Been There Myself. I Learned The Hard Ugly Way. I Use Broody Hens For Chicken Eggs Now. I Got Hit Hard Tho, Mine Were Ornimental Pheasants. The Problem With Gamebirds Is That They Are So Susceptible To The Most Common And Prevalent Poultry Diseases That Your Chickens Wouldnt Even Be Made Ill From...

Dont Get Me Wrong, I Am In No Way Against A Hen Earning Her Keep [​IMG] Its Just After My Misfortune I Try To Warn All Others To Help Them Avoid The Same Disaster I Went Through. I Do Wish You Better Luck Than I Had. And I'll Be The 1st One To Say That I Hope I Am Wrong... But I Have Seen The Results Of Being Right, And It Wasnt Pretty--- Just Sayin....

7. chickenwhisperer

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Well, Imma give it a try, if I have problems then Ill know it wont work for next time.
    I have so many eggs, its not that big of a deal if these dont hatch or the chicks dont make it.
    I have 38 eggs in the bator just in case.

Basically I just wanted to try using a broody hen to hatch, and as I have no rooster I have to use quail eggs . . .

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I just hatch chicken eggs under the chickens. Anything else goes in my artificial bators

Sorry about the previous posts, I have no clue why I posted so many times! Probably a glitch [​IMG]

9. chickenwhisperer

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Im getting curious to see my results, people are telling me I cant do it . . .

I realize that the chance of disease transmission is there, but logically, there needs to be a disease to transmit.
    (and I know chickens wont show signs of said diseases)

I had a batch of quail that I put chicken chicks in with so as to teach the quail how to eat and drink, the specific quails and chickens are doing fine with no signs of disease and never losing any, and its been months and months.
    The property I am on has never had chickens on it before, and the chickense have never stepped foot anywhere else except an incubator and maybe a cardboard box for a few of them.
    I have never brought a new bird in from the outside, all my new stuff comes from eggs I buy locally and hatch.
    All my birds are fed medicated food for the 2nd week, and all got wormed at least 2x, some 3x.
    I even asked the gamebird breeder if he had any problems with diseases at his facility, and he said no; he had great biosecurity, I wasnt allowed in the buildings, and he even had feet-washing station outside.

I guess it could happen but like I said, Im willing to risk 15 coturnix eggs/chicks to see for myself.

Where does the danger actually come from?
    Id guess from the quail chicks eating chicken droppings or maybe even by touching chicken-ground?
    I can easily prevent this from happening once(if) these eggs hatch.
    And these birds would get their own grow-out cage and be butchered/eaten anyways.

Either way ya look at it, Im gonna do it [​IMG]

PS- pheasant chicks seem to be extremely weak/less hardy in the first place, at least ime . . .
    I only got 3 to survive, and they are on the opposite end of the property from the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by