New England area breeders/hatcheries?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
So I haven't yet seen a thread like this so apologies if one exists but I thought maybe this might be useful to some people. I know there is a state thread and a New England thread but I haven't seen one that lists everything in one place.

I thought that maybe you could say what you have, where in New England you are, if you ship (in case anyone sees this who isn't in New England :p ), quality, minimum order, ., I don't know, just anything else relevant I guess.

The reason I am making this is because right now I have 8 birds from Meyer Hatchery and I absolutely love them plus my dad has limited me to 8 but I still have some more breeds I want and was hoping maybe over the summer or fall I could sneak some more in or perhaps sometime next year if not this year. Shipping is far too expensive to justify getting just a couple of birds from Meyer again so I was going to just pick some up from a local feed store but wanted to see if there are any local breeders around.

The breeds I would like to add are Speckled Sussex; any variety Wyandotte but especially gold laced, silver laced, and blue laced red; and basically any variety of Orpington. There are so many beautiful varieties.

I may also want to add ducks eventually. Especially Swedish and Welsh Harlequin.

HOWEVER.

ANY BREEDS, SPECIES, OR VARIETIES WELCOME HERE. NOT JUST THE ONES MENTIONED. I WANT THIS TO BE A RESOURCE TO PEOPLE.

Heck, if you have it, I'd even love to add a quality Barred Rock or any of the other breeds I have now (in signature) so really, truly, anything is welcome here. Whether it's really common or really rare. I don't want this to be just about me.

So, share what you have!!

Oh and pictures aren't necessary but would be nice if you have them.

TIA

You might want to mention this thread on the various New England threads in the Where am I? forum.

I have Faverolles (non-hatchery). No shipping, no eggs or chicks for sale. Pullets for layers generally available in fall, though some 8 month olds will be available this April.

You might want to mention this thread on the various New England threads in the Where am I? forum.

I have Faverolles (non-hatchery). No shipping, no eggs or chicks for sale. Pullets for layers generally available in fall, though some 8 month olds will be available this April.

That's a good idea!! I never thought to post the link there!! Thanks! I will do that! :)

I'm up in northern Maine. I have hatched out a few Brown Leghorns and Dixie Rainbows but am moving into more unusual breeds this year. I really love colored eggs and am working on putting the infrastructure in place to breed EEs and chocolate or olive eggers on a small scale.

In the short term, I may be breeding what I have, provided I get compatible cockerels in my Cackle Hatchery Suprise Package in May.
idunno.gif
I currently have Golden Laced Wayandotte, Fayoumis, 3 different Cochins, Partridge Rocks, RIR, EE, and Golden Campine pullets that just began laying in January. What I will be breeding by fall depends on what roos I get in May.

I find the GLW, EE and Campine thoroughly enchanting in terms of personalities. The Cochins are funny fluffballs. I keep coming back to the lovely colored eggs, though.
yesss.gif

:frow

Sounds like you're doing some pretty awesome stuff! Hopefully you get some good roos in May!!!

I added the EEs specifically for color so hoepfully they lay a pretty color egg! I may need to get some more color though, the rest of my birds are all just brown egg layers. I had heard Maran's can be mean so I didn't add them and white egg layers are too flighty for me plus likely wouldn't stand our winters but now I'm thinking I may have to add some chocolate layers after all!

I really hope I can add some Wyandottes or Speckled Sussex though or more EEs because I would love some more color in the flock too. I have 3 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Black Australorps and while the Orpingtons are slightly different shades, it's just a lot of orange and black, you know? The 2 EEs and the Barred Rock help break it up a bit. Would love even more variety. Plus I could tell them apart :)

Last edited:
Oh and I love my EEs too! They're so quirky! Would love to add a cochin or brahma too, the fuzzy factor is hilariously adorable

Last edited:
If they survive up here (well below zero last night and tonight), they should do well pretty much anywhere in the Continental US. I don't heat my coops, although they are insulated.

This is my egg basket. The green one was frozen and is shiny from condensation as it thaws.

My flock is fairly colorful. This was a while ago, before the ladies of Coop Med (where the hen party never ends!) were old enough to lay.

I'm quite surprised that the Fayoumis are doing so well in this frigid climate. There are Hattie and Patty, with Sweet Cheeks, my EE.

I forgot campines were white egg kayers for a sec! Hah whoops! But wow, that's COLD! That's great they do well, I've heard people say they don't plus figured they were too scrawny to survive but they do have feathers.

Wow, awesome basket!!.

And you certainly do have a pretty colorful flock, wow! I'd love one like that. I don't even care if they're really fancy and laced or whatever, even just brown with copper neck feathers or subtle color would be cool.

Wow, your Fayoumis are gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom