New England Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by welman, Aug 18, 2008.

1. welman

welman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I realize this is not the best time to be thinking about snow...however I can not imagine a chicken's life in the snowbank of my front yard being very interesting! If you free range your chickens, do you snow blow an area for them? Mine are so happy out and about I can't imagine holding them in the run but my mental images of them in the snow are not pretty!!

Thanks for answering in the summer weather!

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Hi [​IMG] We just rebuilt runs to allow the snowblower in. Last year there was alot more shoveling than we have seen in a few years [​IMG] I think our birds will be happy about it too. But I think its a good idea to plan for a wide door to accomodate (sp) the snowblower. My birds were kinda scared at first of the snow, then they got used to it.........this year will be so nice. Welcome to BYC

3. welman

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks so much! We'll have to move some things around, i'm sure my DH will love having the chicken run added to his snow blowing list!

4. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i noticed with mine that some would come out and some had no interest. lol

will we be seeing you in milford nh for the chicken swap??

5. welman

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hadn't heard about the chicken swap??

6. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    mark your calander
    sept 14th tractor supply co
    milford nh
    9-noon
    there are a few new england threads on this website, much ado about new england, and nh chickenstock etc check them out, there are alot of new england people here, welcome

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Mine hate the snow and will not come out of the coop unless I shovel a chicken patio area in the run for them. The exception was this chicken that took a long flight across the pen from the top of the coop ramp when the snowblower frightened her. Hopelessly stuck until I picked her up. She actually standing up in the photo, just couldn't move. [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So happy I don't have to worry about SNOW.... EVER!

Wahoo!

9. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    I will be going to the chicken swap this Sunday!!! Im bringing some of my siver spangled hamburgs there and some EE roo's

Kathie

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I have to shovel a path for Obelisk...Slifer would look out the door and basically to heck with this, and turn around and go lay down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by