New England winter watering options for chickens

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Here we go New England! Time to prep for another winter season! This will be my first winter season with chickens and my biggest concern is water! I have most of the items to set up a heater with the pvc and the nipples, but will look to do that in the spring. This season, i will literally go outside every 2 hrs and give them fresh water if necessary. Thats not entirely realistic, so, i come here, to ask my chicken pros what some simple DYI ideas to get through this first winter. I do have a waterer that can be plugged in, but would still like some alternative ideas that others do. Was thinking of putting a water/feed into coop, but I dont know about the space in there. Throw me some ideas peeps! And thank you! 🐓❤️

We have the heated bases for our waterers, and they work very well. Never would I want to depend on carrying fresh water several times daily, and also we added an all season hydrant next to the coop, after years of carrying water about 100' to the coop from the next nearest hydrant, when the hose we used in summer froze. Snow! Ice! Miserable!
@Alaskan lives in pretty cold conditions, and has excellent advice.
Mary

I too am trying to figure this out. I am in WNY so worry about winter is big for me. I read somewhere to paint barrels black as they will hold heat better to keep from freezing. Anyone ever tried this. It's about 75' from my water source to the chicken pen. So looking for good ideas.

Here we go New England! Time to prep for another winter season! This will be my first winter season with chickens and my biggest concern is water! I have most of the items to set up a heater with the pvc and the nipples, but will look to do that in the spring. This season, i will literally go outside every 2 hrs and give them fresh water if necessary. Thats not entirely realistic, so, i come here, to ask my chicken pros what some simple DYI ideas to get through this first winter. I do have a waterer that can be plugged in, but would still like some alternative ideas that others do. Was thinking of putting a water/feed into coop, but I dont know about the space in there. Throw me some ideas peeps! And thank you! 🐓❤️
Hey neighbor,
Here is a picture of our water setup along with a winter prep article. Hope this helps.
1633458221016.png
Preparing the girls for winter

I do have a waterer that can be plugged in, but would still like some alternative ideas that others do. Was thinking of putting a water/feed into coop, but I dont know about the space in there.
What kind is it, post pic or link.
Show us your coop and run, inside and out.

Back
Top Bottom