1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Englander laying eggs question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Toi-toi, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    My 24weeks old SS is not laying eggs yet...
    I was talking to friend who has RIR and she said "if chickens are not laying first egg yet, won't have any eggs till spring"
    I thought chickens lay eggs during winter time but just fewer eggs than summer time. I didn't know they won't lay at all!

I'm not going to put any light in the coop. Just impossible to do that...
    So I have to wait eggs till spring then???

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:this all depends on the breed .... buff orpingtons are known for laying well over the winter months

some breeds do not lay at all during winter months

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    One of my four 21 week old EEs just started laying, and it's been cold here at night. Don't give up!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Shaggy, I heard SS are pretty good egg laying during the winter, that's why I picked them.

LeezyBeezy, I'm still hoping to see first egg before dead winter.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Pullets will lay in the winter--they just aren't ready yet. I had 3 SS, 2 started laying at 20 weeks the 3rd didn't for another couple of weeks. Then they lay every other day.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know if you have to wait until spring or not. They are all individual so when you are talking about what they do, one individual chicken is not enough for the averages to mean a whole lot. There is no telling for sure what one individual chicken will do.

I have not raised pullets to mature at this time of year. My pullets that start to lay before the days get real short tend to lay pretty well all though winter without extra light. These are the ones that do not go through a fall molt. Mature hens that do undergo a fall molt either quit laying or practically quit laying until their molt is finished, then they may or may not start laying in the winter. You can expect them to really crank it back up when the days get longer in the spring.

Commercial egg laying operations delay their pullets from starting to lay until they get mature enough to lay a decent sized egg by controlling the light. These are hens in totally climate-controlled, light-controlled buildings. What is actually happening outside the walls does not count. By artificially keeping the days short and the nights long, they can keep most of the pullets from starting to lay until the people managing the operations want them to start laying. Then they switch to longer days and shorter nights. In Massachusetts, I'd think your nights are already fairly long. I think there is a pretty good chance she will not start laying until spring and ther days get longer, but one thing I have noticed about chickens. They do not always do what they should do and they sure don't read the rules the same way we do. Anything can happen. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by