New face from florida

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crocodile girl, Jan 5, 2008.

1. crocodile girl

crocodile girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2008
    Eh, I'll introduce myself rather than ask my questions right away...

Hello my name is Zelda. I am a biologist, I specialize in herpetology, which is the study of reptiles and amphibians. I live very close to the everglades, where I conduct research and send my results back to the labs via my computer. So, yeah, I work from home. Pretty good for a young woman, huh?

I own many large reptiles, and I basically have my own zoo. My "pets" include several crocodilian species, a komodo dragon, several monitors and a lot of snake species that live in my home in tanks. I also own a sulcata tortoise. The snakes are the only animals that live in my house. The rest are arranged in a zoo-like setting. I often have people come to my home (after hearing about my menagerie from neighbors) and pay to see my pets. Especially during the holidays and the summertime. I've been able to get most of my pets to earn their keep this way. I don't have time to arrange big visits from people though, now that the holidays are over I'm taking a break from guests.

I already own quite a large flock. I have at least 150 adult birds on my property right now. I have countless chicks. Remember that I live in florida, perhaps that's why I get chicks all year round. I don't collect eggs, I don't like them. So I order heavy breeds from the hatchery. My birds are all allowed to interbreed at will, so I have a lot of "chicken mutts", lol. Most of my birds end up as reptile food, I also eat a few. But the turkeys are still far more likely to end up on my table than my chickens, as the whole point of having chickens for me is to keep my carnivorous reptiles well fed.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Welcome....

Neat "job" you have there - if you can call it actual WORK - sounds more like fun and games if you ask me - PERFECT!!!!

(you're missing out on the eggs...... go on, collect some!)

3. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Hello,

Welcome to the board. It would be great if you could post some pics of you menagerie.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, welcome to the madness..............now you get to add chickens to the zoo.....sounds like an awesome job....you can be so proud for being so young and having that job !
    OH yes...........we love pics

5. crocodile girl

crocodile girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2008
    Here's my komodo dragon. His name is..um..Dragon. lol

[​IMG]

Keep in mind I don't like posting pictures of any animals on my ranch. Not chickens, not snakes, not even my dog. Had a bad experience with that two years ago. I'm giving you guys a very rare treat.

Here's what happened:

I proudly posted a pic online of my 6-metres-long nile crocodile, known to friends and family as "The Prince" (because he was one of my favorites, and I spoiled him rotten lol), on a reptile forum. Two weeks later, a man broke into my "zoo" and attempted to steal the croc. He never got The Prince into the truck. Crocodiles don't like strangers coming into their territory, and The Prince, as an adult male in prime condition was no exception. That man was almost killed trying to steal him. No doubt the man was planning to skin him or something. If my dog hadn't gotten my butt out of bed, there wouldn't have been anything to see except blood in the enclosure and the truck outside of it. In fact, the truck was loaded with a few of my more agreeable animals (a carpet python, a red-tailed boa, and a dozen ball pythons). The Prince ripped the man's leg clean off, had the dog not gotten me outside he would have bled to death. I live near a hospital, and I know how to give emergency first aid. So I got him to the hospital, they saved his life and then he has the nerve to report my croc to the police. The Prince had to be put down, in this case I had to shoot him. I didn't want him to be all stressed out being taken somewhere else to be killed.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    How horrible for you!!!

I normally take my pics off after a few days - or sooner .....
    I also don't like them hanging out there for too long.

7. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:Really? Why?

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California

I just do....... mostly any pic's with my kids in em.... I'm just paranoid! [​IMG] But if I find any posts with pic's I put up - I'll delete the pics.....

(let me know if you find any - [​IMG] )

9. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just do....... mostly any pic's with my kids in em.... I'm just paranoid! [​IMG] But if I find any posts with pic's I put up - I'll delete the pics.....

(let me know if you find any - [​IMG] )

[​IMG]
    I'm just paranoid!

a sign of getting old !​

10. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I guess you're pretty close to that 58 mark, huh?

croc girl,

cool job and great pic.
    I wouldn't worry about anyone from here stealing a large reptile, although there have been several threads concerning chicken theft!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by