New Fall Chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TexasAggieOfc, Oct 10, 2011.

1. TexasAggieOfc

TexasAggieOfc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    So, we loaded up and went over to Sulphur Springs last week to go out to dinner. I talked my wife into letting us go to Atwoods because I can always find something there I need (ok, want.). My 2yo son starts saying "I want to see chick-chicks!" as soon as we pull in the parking lot, but I have to break his heart and tell him that there won't be any chicks until next year. Me, him, and my wife head over to the boots, while our horse-crazy daughter goes to look at horse stuff. I hear my daughter squeal from across the store and I get a text message telling me to come to the back. What do I find? These new additions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    OMG so cute. Tell me you bought them all. Right now I have 19 babies that my 2 broodies hatched in September. Gotta love the chickies [​IMG]

3. TexasAggieOfc

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    No, just got 12 chicks (8 assorted bantams, 4 assorted heavies) and 4 new guineas. They probably had another 50. They had ducks earlier in the week, but were sold out when we were there.

4. tritty74

tritty74 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

5. Lady EE

Lady EE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Earth
    So cute!

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Chicken Math, right? [​IMG]

Adorable

7. TexasAggieOfc

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    Quote:Of course. I told my wife, "Well the chicks we got this spring are wonderful, but wouldn't some fall chicks be nice?"

She glared.

Me - "You know a couple to replace the ones we're going to butcher."

Her - Glare.

Me - "And more guineas, because now that's it's trying to rain again, we're gonna have more bugs."

Her - Glare.

Me - "And look, I think that one is a silkie, don't you want a couple of silkie?"

Her - "Oh really?!?! You know how much I want one of those! Oh, go ahead and get some then!"

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Cute! I am looking at your brooder. Looks like part of an old Brower and part homemade? I have a couple Browers that I use on small runs and another really old one that I bought and repaired that came with finishing pens in a battery arrangement. Always interesting to see peoples stuff!

10. TexasAggieOfc

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    I don't really know alot about it, other than I got it for free from a brother at the Lodge. It's a metal box, with a light socket in the back corner (turned the light off for the picture because of glare). It has four entry portals, two of which have sliding pieces of metal over them to serve as doors. The other two have metal bowls that hang off the side then use a wide hardware mesh to cover that slopes back towards the brooder. The bottom in hardware cloth with a drop pan underneath it. Not a bad setup, I've really enjoyed it and had great luck with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by