New family from Northern Nevada- who needs chicken advise!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RUMBLON, Nov 6, 2011.

1. RUMBLON

RUMBLON Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Ok, I am new to this site but the forum thing I get as I am on many hotrod boards.

However, my wife and I have had chickens for years that free range in the yards and stay in the barn. Recently our chickens have started breeding and the group has grown to maybe 25 or more, many or which, half lets say were born here over the years. This year 13 new ones on their own.

My issue is this, we have never really taken the egg thing very seriously and we have to play EGG HUNT every time we look for our eggs, usually finding too many at once that were obviusly left for days and probably not safe to eat. I am now trying to get the chickens used to a safe place to stay and are trying to train them to go into one barn that I can close off via man size door that I close them into each night and let them out in the morning. I am doing thias mainly for the eggs but also due to the fact that we have two new yound roosters to go with the old vet who was also born here and they compete in the crowing gig and its horrible. They wake us up at all hours of the night. Is this typical?

In any case, I have to decided to take this more serious. The chickens share a large area with several goats, but now that they will have their own secure barn area, approx 14x20, they may start to feel secure and more at home in one place? I HOPE.

I am also looking for options for man made I guess you call them POP doors or automatic doors that I can set to open/ close at specific times. We live in snow country, so thats also an issue.

I know everyone likes pics, so I will get some later and post them either here or woth specific questoins in the correct area, but just wanted to say hi.

We currently live on 2 1/2 acres but own 175 acres of hills, pond and intermediate wheat grass in Cambridge Idaho and hope to get up there soon and retire and eggs will be a food source, so we are in the learnign process these days.

Dave and Linda.

2. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Once you get all the chickens into their new 'coop,' try keeping them in there for 3-5 days with their food & water. Let them out & see if they go back to roost where their new coop is. If they dont, lock them down for a week & try again. Eventually they will get it. Also, on the egg hunt, you can easily check to see if they are good or bad by putting them in a pot of water--if they float, they're good; if they dont, they're bad.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us!

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

You can search for so many of your answers in here and I would also ask in maybe a separate thread for different things.

Also though this thread my help you with things close by. It's the Nevada thread and they can probably direct you to anything local. You might get some really good ideas from the members there since some will probably live in your area and be willing to help with what you need according to weather and things.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7789416#p7789416

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] and welcome to BYC [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca

7. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    [​IMG] from NC

8. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Hello and Welcome! We also play 'egg hunt' with our free range girls, although I was under the impression that if the egg floats, it's bad. One of the tricks we use to get our girls to lay in the nesting boxes is to put an egg in the box. They like to lay where there is already an egg. If you don't have a spare agg, a golf ball works really well. -apparently OUR chickens aren't really bright, they fall for the golf ball trick.

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Glad to have a new chicken lover!

[​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by