1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Family Here - Butler Bobwhite Question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sbw82, Sep 29, 2015.

1. sbw82

sbw82 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2015
    Hello folks! I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks. I have twin 9 year old boys that want to start raising quail. We will be getting some Butler Bobwhites as soon as we finish our pen...6x2x2. How many would you put in this size pen and what ration males to female? Thanks!

Stephen

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can fit one male and a couple females. Bobwhites breed in pairs or trios and require about 4 square feet a bird minimum. Butlers get big and may even want a little more space than typical northern bobs.

You realize that bobwhites only lay eggs between May and August right? Coturnix are the only quail that can be made to lay edible sized eggs daily.

3. sbw82

sbw82 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2015
    Yes I did realize that about the egg laying for Bobwhites. We are going to get 3 or 4 from a neighbor and then have a separate pen for some Coturnix soon. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by