new family member

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gummybear61, Nov 3, 2016.

1. gummybear61

gummybear61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2016
    chicago
    is it a she or he....

we had our new adopted family member for about a week now.
    i took her out in her cage today let the others out the coop. my roo began to do his 1step dance with wing down. was it a challege or mating thing. doea he know if it boy or girl.

my hen who i believe to be the top pecking order came up to cage with her neck feathers puffed up head down and began to peck our new member. theri is an age difference of 9 months our new member is 2mo so we were told.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I'm no silkie expert...but that is definitely looking like a little cockerel to me. If the age is accurate then you've got a male.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Still a cockerel [​IMG]

4. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Yes, it looks like a cockerel to me too. Beautiful boy! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

6. gummybear61

Apr 12, 2016
    chicago
    noooooo lol we were hoping for another girl .... i have very very very small flock 1 boy and 2 girls now plus our new member [​IMG] welll i guess we have to figure it out ....the research we done it so hard to tell even the girls look like boys

7. gummybear61

Apr 12, 2016
    chicago
    much to my denial lol Leche is in fact a cockerel. he began to yo'dal this week[​IMG]. so now my feathered family consist of 2 cockerels and 2 hens. will they be ok? we have yet to intergrate him to the others but they have been introduced. [​IMG]

8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    They might be ok, but if you have problems be prepared to rehome one or both of the males and/or get a few more hens. If you can, get a few more hens now. It would be good to have about six girls for them at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by