New family member.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rrhall, Dec 29, 2009.

1. rrhall

rrhall Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    We been thinking about getting a guard dog for some time now,today we ended up bringing one home.
    A six week old Anatolian/Pyrenees mixed puppy,I will try to post some picks. The guy we got him off of
    had him with chickens and goats already.The wife ended up putting him in the barn tonight and he is already
    sleeping right next to the goats,I hope things keep going this smooth with him.

Here are a few pictures.

[​IMG]

It's hard to believe he will get over 100 pounds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Congratulations on your puppy! That's great he's already been kept around chickens and sheep and will be raised around them--in my opinion, that's one of the better ways to get chickens and dogs to get along (although breed choice is important too). I'll bet he's awfully cute--I'd love to see some pictures if you get to posting them!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Um, pics? Wanna see puppy!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Oh yes pics please. Congrats on your new addition. [​IMG]

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    bit of an advice..... he's ok with the old owners animals because he's use to them and vice versa... if you can, introduce your existing animals to him slowly and things will go smoothly... otherwise, a panic chicken can trigger the chase instinct on any predator.

6. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Bravo.......... good choice of breed also. Two breeds that are natural herd protecters. He's a bit younger then I would like to see but he will most likely take to his new animal family in a few days. Remember, he is a baby and if you catch him getting abit excited or playful with the others you can steer him to behave properly. But, at his age a couple good pecks to the nose usually works fine for the chickens to establish who is boss. LOLOL Is he going to be a full time protecter with them 24/7?
    Good luck to you and looking forward to seeing your baby.

4 dogs and 4 city chickens

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Good choice of breeds. I always thought that Aussie type border collies would do well with poultry too since they do so well with sheep.

8. rrhall

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    Quote:Thanks for the advice,We put him in with the goats last night and he is doing great with them,that is where he will sleep at night.We did just what you said today,he tagged along with us while we fed the chickens and he did not even act like they were even there.We will keep working with him every day and slowly bring him along,we realize he is a very young puppy.

9. rrhall

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    Quote:He is very young,we are going to try to work with him every day.I'm hoping things go smooth,we are planing on using him full time 24/7.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aw, how cute! Good luck with his training!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by