1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Farm babies!! More pics of the kids today! (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BCBunnies, Jun 5, 2011.

1. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    So I finally got a moment to post pictures of my new bottle babies, the silkie/cochin cross chicks, my replacement roo from the feed store, and Bud my new Californian buck.

Here is Randy the New Hampshire Red roo chick I just got in he's 2 days old here
    [​IMG]

And here he is with the rest of the chicks in the brooder they look so big compared to him except for Cocoa the little EE
    [​IMG]

So here we have the new chicks silkie/cochin cross 1 (red?) hen, 1 white hen, 1 white hen with black spots (splash?), and the (red?) roo
    [​IMG]

Here is Bud my new Cal buck and he is pretty relaxed except for when the cat comes in he starts thumping at him. I named him Bud because he rode home in the floorboard of my car in a Bud Light box because I was going to buy the above Silkie Cochin crosses and well she happened to have a bunch of nice looking Cals for sale.
    [​IMG]

Last but not least are the new kids my bottle baby Boers I have 2 does and a buckling. The largest and smallest ones are does and the middle sized one is the buckling. Thinking about naming the little girl Belle Star because of the tiny little star on her head. I could use suggestions for names for the other 2 babies though.

This first pic is all three of them with the buckling hiding in the back some brave boy he's going to be letting the little girl protect him.
    [​IMG]

Here is both of the does with little Belle in the back letting her big sister protect her.
    [​IMG]

And here is a shot my son took of me feeding the little buckling. I'm having to train them to bottle feed as they have been on their mamas for about 2 months at this point so he's sorta fighting me but they seemed more willing to drink the bottles today.
    [​IMG]

(edited to post the crossbreed info on the chicks)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hey, they are all adorable.

I'm jealous.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Your pic of the silkies. They do not look like any silkie I have ever seen. They look like white leghorns and a RIR mix. [​IMG]

4. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing, those are not pure silkies thats for sure.

5. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Aww, those chicks are soo cute! Really nice of you to share some pics! So those are Silkie/Cochin crosses? I am surprised they don't have darker skin--genetics are funny. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I was thinking the same thing, those are not pure silkies thats for sure.

I wonder if the OP was mislead. I really hate it when people tell you that have something you don't.

7. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    They are definately cross with the cochin and the only other stock she had was some beautiful Japanese breed I really couldn't care less what mixture they are though they are too sweet and gorgeous sorry I didn't put the cross information in the first post. [​IMG] I was too excited to put pics up and tired from all the running around I've been doing lately. I absolutely trust the breeder she is good friends with the ARBA judge that helped get me started with rabbits in high school. And I have to say thank you to Carrol Hooks for putting up with the endless questions when I was younger. [​IMG] Thanks for the responses guys and now I have new baby pictures to post I went yesterday evening and picked up an intermediate Californian buck already tipping the scales at 9 lbs and an older experienced Californian doe with very dark color. While I was getting their cages set up last night I let them terrorize the cat in the living room. I should have taken pictures it was hilarious.

First pics of the little red hen she looks more like the roo except she took on her mama hens color
    [​IMG]

And the Californian doe she is a little out of condition as she just weaned kits Saturday
    [​IMG]

And the 7 month old Californian buck he is so thick and I love his build can't wait to see his babies.
    [​IMG]

8. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I LOVE goats [​IMG]
    We had two Boer goats and a Nigerian Dwarf... Unfortunately our neighbors liked them too much and decided they wanted goat to eat one day... (this was a while back)... We re-homed the other 2..

We had one black and white named Panda Bear and the brown and white was Clover... I love them both

Panda Bear probably wouldn't work for you, but I still like the name Clover.

9. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:What?!! [​IMG]

10. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:What?!! [​IMG]

Seriously..... [​IMG] why they have to go and try to eat your goats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by