New farmer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jea fl, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jea fl

jea fl Hatching

Mar 13, 2011
    I was here a time or two before under the user name flaja, but I have changed email addresses and couldn’t retrieve my password or register again with the old user name.

Anyway, I have been looking at a piece of property about 50 miles from Augusta, Georgia so I can re-locate from the city and set up an organic CSA farm and environmental research and education center. I need to leave the city for health reasons, but because my health is not good I will need help with the physical labor involved in running a farm. I have enough cash to buy the land outright (48 acres), but housing is a problem. The property has 2 mobile homes, but the realtor has advised me that neither one may be useable. If I build much of a house I won’t have enough cash to start planting. I could make a partial payment on the land and then have enough cash to build a home and start farming and then pay off the land after a few years. I have a bachelor’s degree in biology from Emory University, and I have almost 30 years experience in my own vegetable garden. I also have found a natural food store in Augusta, Georgia that is interested in buying whatever I can produce. But none of this matters if I cannot find people who are willing to help with the labor. I would appreciate any help anyone can give in putting people that may be interested in touch with me. [email protected]

2. MSDeb

MSDeb Songster

[​IMG] Welcome back and good luck.

3. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome back from Oregon!

4. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Songster

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    Welcome. Sounds like a great plan. Have you looked into purchasing a house to move to your property? Perhaps you can find an inexpensive mobile home or trailer that you can live in temporarily - Craigslist is a great resource. Have fun!

5. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

Well you just never know about the mobile homes being livable. Just go check it out if both are good you could use one for farm workers lodging. Lower pay with offering room and board.

Good luck!

I lived in Ft. Gordon, GA and also Ft. Stewart GA for a while years ago. Beautiful area down there. I am in Indiana now back where I was born and raised.

6. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome and good luck, we can certainly use more organic farms.

7. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

8. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chirping

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Welcome back from a new egg in Fl. What your planning sounds just wonderful! Hope you manage to sort out some living quarters, if not, can you build an extention to your coop...? Im sure the chickens wont mind.....he he he, just kidding! Anywho, welcome again!

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Good luck with your venture. [​IMG]

10. jea fl

jea fl Hatching

Mar 13, 2011
    Quote:I wish it were that simple. The current price for the land is $89,500. The most I can spend without cashing in my life insurance policy is $40,000 and even with the insurance the most I can spend without selling the property my mother and I own in Florida is $100,000. The cheapest used mobile homes that I have found are running $10-15,000 and that wouldn’t include moving and set-up. But at the same time I don’t really want to spend anything on either of the mobile homes the property already has- the newest of the 2 is still 30 years old.

Of course if I could sell the property I have in Florida I could be looking to buy something more suitable. But my disabled mother doesn’t want to move. But I am at a point where I have got to move because living here is killing me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: