New Faverolle chick lethargic-Newbie needs help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GardenState38, Jul 20, 2011.

1. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I received my first-ever order of chicks today. All 5 were alive and the Faverolle seemed especially plucky--curious, eating, drinking, pooping...
    About 3 hours after they arrived, the Faverolle slowed down, seemed to get drowsy, one eye was squinty and began to spend most of her time under the EcoGlow heater I have. The others would join her in there for the occasional snooze, but when they'd all come out to eat and drink, she didn't join them.
    The other 4 chicks seem perfectly healthy and active.
    6 hours later, the Faverolle still seems lethargic, a little shaky and has stopped feeding and drinking. She may be a little puffed, but she was puffier than the others from the start--when she was asymptomatic.
    I've carefully given her water from a syringe (I have electyrolytes and vitamins in the water) and I've been feeding them medicated starter. Also gave them some crumbled egg yolk, but I don't think the Faverolle really had any of it.

Is there anything I can do for her besides give her water? She squawks when I pick her up and I feel bad because if she's already stressed, I'm just adding to it.
    I stocked up on Sulmet and VetRx and thought I was prepared for anything, but my mind has gone blank and I'm afraid I'll lose her.

Her poop seemed normal-not red, no worms. And she did not have pasty butt. The brooder temp is 95 in the warm area and under the EcoGlow, where she stays. Humidity is about 40%.

Anything
    I can do, or just keep watch?
    Thanks in advance!

2. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    You're doing everything you should be. The Faverolle probably got dehydrated and now it doesn't feel like doing anything, no energy. The same thing happened to me a month ago, I ordered 3 Faverolles and 2 of them died from dehydration. I did all that stuff too, but the trip was just too hard on them I guess. The hatchery I ordered from told me that Faverolles don't seem to handle shipping very well.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yea, it could be stress, but she needs food. Make a mash from chick feed and water, and put some on your finger and smear it on her beak where she can taste it.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:and a little drop of water on your finger to the edge of her beak too, careful not to get it in her nose or to much at a time.

5. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    But it's not going to eat if it doesn't have the energy to. Of course it needs food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by