New favorite food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pharmchickrnmom, Nov 23, 2010.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Today our chickens got venison scraps from the deer we were processing. They went raptor crazy!!! Even crazier than when they see their favorite food, grapes! When I let them out to freerange this afternoon, they went crazy under the tree where the deer had been. They ripped up the leaves looking for any little scraps that were left. Kinda makes me glad that they are little and only 8 in number! We stripped off the meat we dont use and froze it for them for later on this winter. Anyone else give their chickens venison?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

My birds get all kinds of meat - they fight the dogs on processing day for scraps. It can be scary [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Kinda why I was slightly worried when I slipped in the mud last winter and fell backwards onto my back in the run. Had a chicken on my chest peering into my face awfully fast.....

4. pharmchickrnmom

Apr 13, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Yeah--thats kinda my worry!!! [​IMG]

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

You know what they say about cats vs dogs - at least if you kill yourself falling down the stairs at home, the dog'll starve to death. Guess I'll think twice about getting a house chicken.

6. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Well, it's not like they are velociraptors, right? [​IMG]

"November is National Velociraptor Awareness Month! ...Velociraptors are often found on tropical islands, converted to millionarie amusement parks, but are commonly being sighted in the Pacific Northwest. [​IMG] Velociraptor attack is the 3rd leading cause of death for men age 27-29. However, everyone must think about the implications of velociraptors: young and old, men, women and transgendered persons...."

How to identify a velociraptor:
    [​IMG]
    Velociraptor compared in size to a human. Courtesy: Wikipedia

But don't worry. "November is National Velociraptor Awareness Month! The American Society for Velociraptor Attack Prevention, along with the North American Velociraptor Defense Association and the United Velociraptor Widows Fund, will be providing free velociraptor safety seminars at local Red Cross centers across the nation. Contact your local center for more information."

[​IMG]

7. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I know, when I have scraps, I have to pick between the dogs or the girls.

9. grandmas Nest

grandmas Nest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    Do you feed raw meat to chickens or should it be cooked first? Dogs would feel neglected is I gave it all to the chickens tho.

10. pharmchickrnmom

Apr 13, 2010
    My dh cooked the heart for them but the scraps were given raw. They dont seem to care which way they get their protein! Spoiled rotten little raptors! They had turkey for thanksgiving. I have to give some to the dog or he would be going crazy seeing them eating it. My girls have no respect for him and I warned him that he was fair game where they were concerned. Dead bodies would soon disappear in their run so I hope I never pass out and fall over!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by