New feathers question/ lice treatment

ckbco

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
Colorado
Question,
I have pullets about 5-6 months I started to notice it seems that they seem to be growing in more feathers is that normal ? I know it seems like a logical answer that yes but I wanted to make sure since I'm treating them for live at the moment about 3 birds have balding on the front of there necks in one spot the same on all birds iv never found lice crawling but iv seen just a few nits on there neck feathers so at the moment I'm confused if both is somthing that happens to others

What are you using to treat them?

Have you seen any evidence of feather-picking by one or more of your birds?

How big of a coop/run do you have them in?

MrsB

I have done 3 treatments of poultry dust and deep cleaned the coop it appears after those final treatments they grew the feathers back and the birds are pumping out more and more eggs each day I know that two of them probly had some feather picking due to being slightly younger in age after I introduced them into the flock ( RIR's into a flock of black stars ) but now after checking them over it seems like there happy as ever and always wanting attention from me or the kids petting being held treats every so often Im guessing it might have just been a few lice with a bit of getting picked on but I didn't want to take the chance and not treat them I have to say though I'm impressed with the friendly not flight personality that the black stars have but could be due to consistent interaction

10x10 run 6x5 coop (kinda small for 10 birds but I'm not finished building there mansion coop I'm working on so I can expand my flock 2RIR 7 black stars 1golden lace ... I think I got addicted to the byc culture now I want to go for some colored egg breeds

The recommended spacing is 4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run.

If you have smaller birds, you can have more birds in the space... Larger birds mean fewer birds.

I'm wondering if crowding is causing some pecking.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom