New Federal Regs Coming For Raising Chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Uncle Marc, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    If you raise chickens in order to sell eggs and want to have the added advantage of the approved "organic" label on them, take note. I have been informed that new federal regulations will be coming soon regarding how much space you must provide in order to get the certification.

If anybody has details, I'd be interested. I will update as info becomes available.

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:There are new Federal Regulations coming on a daily basis. Who really cares? Organic is really a point of view if you ask me. My chickens are PROBABLY considered organic, but I do feed them table scraps, which are far from organic in most cases.....

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Organic is such a bastardized concept now with the government being a part of it that I wouldn't even bother to to attempt getting certified with my chickens or garden or anything under that label.

4. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:X2

5. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    If the same Federal Government that is allowing our environment, and consequently our health, to be sacrificed at the alter of campaign donations, has enough time and money to be involved in the lives of people selling eggs within their communities, we're just one step closer to the 2nd revolution.

6. avidhomestead

avidhomestead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    Brevard County, FL
    Organic is such a bastardized concept now with the government being a part of it that I wouldn't even bother to to attempt getting certified with my chickens or garden or anything under that label.

Isn't that the truth. It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick now with the government trying to tweak the gimmick to show how they 'protect' us.

If the same Federal Government that is allowing our environment, and consequently our health, to be sacrificed at the alter of campaign donations, has enough time and money to be involved in the lives of people selling eggs within their communities, we're just one step closer to the 2nd revolution.

Sadly, I think you are hitting the nail on the head here.​

7. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Call your eggs what they are. Fresh! Forget the rest.

8. Uncle Marc

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    I agree with you guys that it is a marketing ploy, but the price for a dozen "organic" eggs in my area is $5 per dozen compared to about $1.99 per dozen for "farm fresh".

We hope to be producing about two dozen eggs per day to start. That's a difference of $120 per month vs. $300 per month. I'm sure we won't reach that goal right away or sustain it all year and of course we will consume a few eggs ourselves (maybe a dozen a week).

So what's wrong with a marketing gimmick that improves profit? Isn't that what marketing is all about?

I'm not taking anything away from the folks who raise chickens purely for fun, or as pets, or to show or for their own limited use. But that's not our goal. We are trying to capitalize on the "organic" craze with our chickens, our honeybees, our antique orchard and eventually our beef operation.

Just thought you might like to know that the feds are coming for your eggs.

Oh, and I am expecting a call today with an update on the space requirements for an "organic" operation. The federal website is a little vague to say the least.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/nop

9. Uncle Marc

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky

Eggs aren't the only thing they are after. Have you kept up with what they are doing to the people trying to sell milk?

http://healthfreedoms.org/2011/09/07/amish-farm-banned-from-selling-raw-milk-after-fed-sting-op/

10. FarmerMel

FarmerMel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Don't you just love how the government puts such a tight regulation on what is called organic and what is not, when they clearly support one of the most greediest companies in the world... aka... Monsanto.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by