New Feed Store Chicks / Chicks with bloody poops

EasterEggersRULE

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
South Texas
I finally found a legal place to keep chicks so i went to the feed store ( in houston not corpus) and was only going to get 2 brown leghorns well i ended up with 13 chicks . Is this the start of chicken math ?? I got 6 barred rocks 4 buff opringtons 2 production reds and ONE brown leghorn (only one left) . Will post pics as soon as i get my stupid camera to work.

Another thing. I have 3 barred rock chicks that have bloody loose dropings they are listless and are SCREAMING at the top of there chicky lungs they where fine when i got them to the brooder this morning and now they are not eating or drinking and are just laying there cheeping. They are on medicated chick starter.

That was my concern when I saw your post earlier. I hope it is nothing but that is what it sounds like. Have they been on medicated feed since birth?

Quote:
Yes they have been on medicated feed since they got them from the hatchery. I found one of the barred chicks dead this morning
sad.png

It was the REALLY sick one that acted cold all the time. I am keeping them warm at %83 right under the heat leamp since there about 2 weeks and they have fresh clean water. Do you know where i can get the medication to treat them with ??

Call your local state extension office and ask if they can recommend a livestock veterinarian, one specialized in poultry. It'll be costly, though. Another option - I've found that Randall Burkey has the best variety of poultry medications, topical ointments, antibiotics. The web site is randallburkey.com ... good luck!

Quote:
Yes they have been on medicated feed since they got them from the hatchery. I found one of the barred chicks dead this morning
sad.png

It was the REALLY sick one that acted cold all the time. I am keeping them warm at %83 right under the heat leamp since there about 2 weeks and they have fresh clean water. Do you know where i can get the medication to treat them with ??

If it's cocci-you can get it at Tractor Supply or most feed stores.

Corid also comes in liquid form. I get a 16 oz bottle for about $20. Use 10 cc in a gallon waterer once a day for five days. Medicated feed has limited benefit so it's still common for them to get cocci, even when they've been on it from hatch.

Back
Top Bottom