New Feed???

YumaJohnny

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
Yuma
My 5 barred rocks will be 1 year old on April 16th - They have been laying regularly since September. I have been feeding them lay crumble - this last time to the feed store I accidently bought lay pellets - I feed them this a few days ago and now yesterday no eggs. (usually get 4-5 a day). They didn't seem too interested in the lay pellets either. Do chickens not like the pellets?

Hope someone can help me out!

Thanks

John
smile.png

I purchased pellets by mistake as well and my chickens were not happy with them.I ended up making a hot cereal out of them (hot water mixed with pellets) and they would eat it and loved it.I was glad to get through that bag.Good luck

Chickens do NOT like change! Your chickens looked at that "weird looking food" and probably decided you don't love them anymore and you are now trying to poison them, and what a dastardly deed that is, too!

The little farm got it right -- you can mix it with hot water and make "cereal" out of it. Even mix it with some spinach or greens of that kind, or tomatoes.

Or you could crush it and make it into crumbles like they're used to.

And let that be a lesson to you, young man. Chickens must be catered to, and spoiled. (Gives new meaning to "rule the roost," doesn't it)
lol.png

Thanks so much for the quick response and help! The rule the backyard that's for sure. I will try to mix it and make them happy again.

If I can ever get a picture they will sit on the patio with our 2 chihuahua's in the afternoon - it is hilarious to see!

Easy mistake to make! I have done it as well. We ended up throwing out that whole bag, and went back and got crumbles. Now, I always make sure I look before I buy!

No more pellets for me also. Once I bought a bag of purina pellet, I thought since it is pricier than regular mix grain the chicken would jump on it. NOPE, they just staring at it and walk away.

Huh? Thats wild! They may just be set in their ways! I switched mine to pellets at point of lay, its more cost effective for me. Mine will eat ANYTHING! I put a garden out last year with the intent to "share" it with them... That ate everything! I'd stick with what they like.
smile.png

i find the pellets to be a lot better because they don't waste as much as the crumbles do mine did the same thing they didn't lay for a couple of days but they started up again and now love the pellets and so do i. i find myself at the feed store once a month and have 25 chickens. chickens are not stupid, picky Yes if they are hungry they will eat try it and see if they will eat it

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom