New Fence and Run Area!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thotchkiss60, Apr 16, 2012.

1. thotchkiss60

thotchkiss60 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello Everyone!

We finally built our 7 girls a fenced-in area for them to roam around in. I just wanted to share a few photos with everyone. We just used 4' x 4' posts and anchored them into the ground with stakes (the stakes have a place for the board to sit right on top of - so easy mobility if necessary!). Then we just stapled a roll of hardware mesh to the boards, built a gate in the middle, and VOILA! I great new area for my my girls!

I live in Phoenix and it will be getting really hot soon. The tree to the far right gives them shade, but I think I will put other shade elements in that area like a large umbrella and maybe a shade cloth awning somewhere. Back behind the coop they have a dirt area they LOVE to roll around it. I might put an umbrella over there too!

Any thoughts/ideas??

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] That looks fantastic!! And I'm sure they are loving the extra space. Nice shady patch back there too. I'd just wait till summer to see if more is needed - it looks like you've got a decent amount [​IMG]

3. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    Looks wonderful! That coop is one that I have been considering. Do you like it? I'm still debating if we should just buy one or try our hand at building one.

4. thotchkiss60

thotchkiss60 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Yes I do love the coop and run. The only thing that is hard is stooping over in the A-framed run to clean. So I just use a small stool to sit and clean!

The coop was a bit expensive, but I didn't mind because I am not handy at all! It works really well and you can add a few roosts at the top of the A-frame inside the house. I have 2 in there and they love them!

5. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    The height of the a-frame was a concern of mine. A stool would help, I'm sure. Thanks for giving me your opinion of the coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by