new finch cage!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by pidgey104, Aug 23, 2010.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I built me a new finch cage for all my little finches and diamond doves.

[​IMG]

The have lots of flying space now.

[​IMG]

heres what they used to be in. I didnt like it and when the sides go dirty it was hard to clean and I could never sit back and enjoy my birds.

[​IMG]

2. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    thats awsome how many birds can you keep in there?
    I just built one a little bigger than yours!

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Very Cool! I love it [​IMG]

4. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:Lets see I'm Hoping to get a few more different breeds of finchs. Right now I ahve 9 Finches, 6 diamond doves,( Need to trade for a few males only have 1 male) and 7 Button quail in the bottom. The cage is 6 foot by 3 foot wide and 6 foot tall. I can crawl into the cage to clean it.

5. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    i see a society and some zeb's [​IMG]

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:Yes I have 2 societys and I think they are both males. would like to get two females for them. Not sure how to tell them apart??

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

There is a wonderful lady on here, or I hope she still is, that contacted me about my finches and said to soak your seeds in water (I do it overnight) and keep them in the fridge to keep fresh and feed them to your finches. It will make them more prolific in their breeding and hatch rate will be better. She is right, because I slacked off during the winter and had a lady give me 15 more and I have two nests full, two babies fledglings and two teeny new hatches . . .I have Cinnamon, Society, the little regular ones, Black Cheeks that are the sweetest things, and love them all. [​IMG] Your cage is wonderful; I need something just like that. Do you keep your doves in there too? And, if so, they do OK with the finches? I love doves, would love to get some of them too!!!!!

Finches eat alot and waste alot, I have found that out. I usually get my seed at Petsmart, but if you go online to: mypetplace.com or for you fish lovers myfishplace.com they have a GREAT catalog and in some cases you can buy bulk. They carry other furry animal supplies too, and their packing is very good and very prompt! Prices are very comparable, and the shipping isn't good, but if you order more each time, you can build up a supply and not have to do it so often. I want to get an order ready for winter, so I don't have to carry so much home each month!!! [​IMG]

EDITED to add: I went back and looked at the picture again, and your doves ARE in there!!! So cool!!!! Do they breed too, or are they more like a parakeet . . . or the two I have anyway! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  8. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:I started with a pair of the diamonds and now I am up to 6 doves. Just from that pair!!!! They breed like crazy LOL. They do really good with the finch I have no problems with them at all. and yeah the finches do waste a lot of seed so what ever gets thrown on the ground my buttons eat. I'll check out that website because I like to get the best seed for my birds but it cost soooo much [​IMG] Like $13 for a small bag ..

9. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    Quote:Yes I have 2 societys and I think they are both males. would like to get two females for them. Not sure how to tell them apart??

sadly you cant, i have to girls and wanted a boy because my girls keep hybredzing with my zebs [​IMG] silly little thing they are

10. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I like it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by