new first time chicken owners help pls.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Les n Billy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Les n Billy

Les n Billy New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    northumberland uk
    Hi, nice to meet you all. we need help. we have just become the owners of 2 beautiful hens, a blackrock and a light sussex. both 19 weeks old according to the farm. they are in addition to our little skitty who we raised from a chick with her brothers who had to be rehomed, Our problem is our sussex. she has evil eyes. she is not bright eyed like our others and pics we have seen. she has a squint. most of the time she has her eyes closed. she also has diarrhoea but we are not to concerned abouit that. she is a loner and wants shelter most of the time. I have atached some pics of her eyes. what do you think, should we be concerned about her eyes and her quiet nature. she loves human contact and looks and feels healthy enough. any name suggestions will be appreciated. thanks folks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I would be quite concerned about the diarrhea as well. Hope you can get some help in the Emergencies section.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] does it seem like her vision is impaired? That may be why she is a loner and wants to be sheltered. The reason for her diarrhea may be what causes her to be so reticent.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! The Emergencies section is the best place to post, good luck to you.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site Les n Billy, and I hope she turns out alright!

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. Les n Billy

Les n Billy New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    northumberland uk
    thank you for your help guys. She now has a head shake, goes to sleep on her feet.
    We took her back to the farm yesterday where we bought her. They agreed she was poorly and very pale too. They gave her a good dose of antibiotics and sent us home with a 3 day supply. Fingers crossed she is ok.

10. chicken-lady13

chicken-lady13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Kentucky
    I Hope she does all right ! I got my first pet chicken at the local flea market and she was sick when I got her. After my husband gave her about two weeks of antibiotics she was up and clucking right along . She has been healthy and happy ever sense. Best wishes for your hen's recovery. Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by