New Flock--Already sad!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by steph, Feb 10, 2008.

1. steph

steph New Egg

Feb 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hi All,
    I've been reading lots here in preparation for my first little flock. I got four chicks on Thursday and they all looked great. Immediately (and because of all the reading I've done here) I noticed that the Barred Rock chick had what looked life a wet bit of down on her bottom, which I worried could be pasty butt. She seemed to be pooping just fine, but I kept an eye on her. By Saturday morning I jad gotten attacjed and named all the babies, and I did notice that she had some definite crusted poo on her. So, I took a damp paper towel and got it off, and I could see her vent was a bit red so I put some oil on it and felt like she would be ok.
    Last night when I looked in on them, sge was lying on the side of the cage, her breathing was labored, and she looked damp. I immediately picked her up and tried to dry her and keep her warm, but before I could do anything for her she just died in my hand. I was so much sadder than I expected![​IMG]
    Anyway, after doing some more research I think what I may have seen was a prolapsed rectum. I just have so much guilt about not having checked on her an hour or two earlier, because if I had known she was sick I may have been able to save her! She was the bossy one and seemed like the most vigorous of the group, so I had no idea...
    I'd like to go to the feed store and get aother Barred Rock before the other babies get much older. Is it ok to do that, or would I have to quarantine the new baby? And are my other three at risk from the same thing? They look great, but now I'm paranoid!
    Thanks in advance, and here's a picture of my little flock before I lost her:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    i am sorry! it makes me sad just to read it,if you want a new chick you better get one now while the others are still young.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    If you originally got your chicks from the feed store - adding another one shouldn't be a problem, no reaason to quarantine.

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I'm so sorry for your loss Steph [​IMG] No matter how long we've had them, or that they are "just chickens" it's still breaks your heart. I would think, like others have said, that if they came from the same feed store you wouldn't need to quarantine.

Welcome to BYC by the way, I'm still new here, and I love it here already [​IMG]

5. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Sorry for your loss....and yes you can go get another one or two and add them. I did this when I had weekolds from the feedstore and I added dayolds and they were fine together. Be sure to be always looking for pasty butt. Things you can do to help it from happening are....if the poo is dry rehydrate it with some warm water and try gentely pulling it off...and if it attached to some down....being very careful take some small sizzors and snip it away. One prevenative you can do is put a small dab of veggy oil around the vent to help poo slide off instead of stick.
    Hope the rest are doing great!
    [​IMG]

6. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I'm so sorry Steph. [​IMG]

Awwww. They're such cuties!

When we first got our chicks, we lost a couple right off the bat for similar reasons. We were able to go back to the feed store and add new chicks and all did just fine from that point on. Enjoy your babies! They grow so fast.

7. steph

steph New Egg

Feb 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Thank you all for the kind words and advice! I will head over to the feed store when it opens this morning and get a new baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by