New flock from two different sources. Still need to separate?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by docrox12, Apr 8, 2016.

1. docrox12

docrox12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    I have converted a corner of a Wick building into a coop measuring 12 x 20. I have roosts and nesting boxes in. Sand over the existing asphalt flooring. Hardware wire over some areas for ventilation. There is one pop door to the run. It is actually a fenced area of about 1/2 acre with grass and trees.
    I am picking up 2 hens and a rooster from a friend who hatched them for me. They are laying now. She was going to give me 4 hens and the rooster but lost some of her flock to an unknown critter one night.
    So I was planning on getting 4 more hens from another friend the same day for a larger flock.
    Since everything will be new to both flocks can I put them together? I'm not sure how I would separate them. For the outside run it is such a large area, not sure how to divide it up without a lot of fencing. Do they have to be separated at night in the coop? If so, I will need to build more roosts on the other side of the room.
    If it makes more sense I could just start with the 2 ladies and the rooster and hatch my own for next year.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's one of those situations where you won't know until you try. I would have a back up plan if you need to separate, some might say you should quarantine, but I might just take my chances and put them together to see how they may get along.

As far which way to go with enlarging your flock, that depends on whether you want to hatch and raise chicks or just want adults.

3. docrox12

Apr 8, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. The second flock is a bit of an unknown as far as health. I am assuming they are fine as they all look good but the other one I know well.
    Starting out with a nice fresh building taking lots of woman hours to get remodeled, I don't want to bring anything home like mites.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most adult chickens carry some amounts of mites and lice, it would be best to give them a good dusting with a poultry dust upon their arrival, I use one made with pyrethrin, I hold them by the feet, dust them especially on the vents and under the wings, then set them upright and rub it in. I hold my breath during it. Chickens keep external bugs under control by taking dust baths.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    And congratulations on building stuff yourself, that way it's done your way.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I would give it a shot if it were my flock. With everyone starting out in a new place at the same time, it may give them something besides "Who's the boss?" to think about. I'm not saying that there won't be any kerfluffles, because there probably will be. But they may not be as intense as putting new birds in with a flock that has already staked their claim on a place.

1 person likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    BTDT...brought in lice and leg mites, did not examine and treat right away....still fighting the leg mites a bit.
    Examine thoroughly and treat promptly.....is my hindsight, easily said sitting here in my chair.
    Best of cLuck to yas!

8. docrox12

Apr 8, 2016
    Thank you all so much. On my way to get them this morning.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Let us know how it goes!

10. docrox12

Apr 8, 2016
    It went really well! I ended up with 2 roosters (who get along well), one large hen and a tiny hen (bantum?) from the woman who hatched for me. Since that is all she could spare due to a racoon getting many of her flock I went to another farm also. This guy raises organic, non GMO birds for eggs and fryers. He is a classic old Iowa farmer who has converted his thinking about many of the practices most farmers do. I only know him through another friend. His chickens are in a hen house about 12 x 12 and there must have been 30 or more in there. They do not go outside. I picked out 4 hens. Not by knowledge, just instinct :)
    I brought them home in separate dog crates. They talked softly all the way home.
    Dusted them all for mites as I let them out into their new coop. It is 12 x 20 by the way. I had two feeders and two waterers set up to minimize issues. There was just a bit of squabbling on occasion. I just stepped between them and distracted them. I know they need to figure it out but wanted to stop it before blood was drawn.
    It took a couple of hours before the 4 that never went outside ventured out the door. One of them really enjoyed it and the others were still wondering what is up.
    At dusk I went down to shut the pop door and two were already up on the roost. I went down later to check and the 4 from my friend were all on the top roost and the other 4 ladies were on the next roost.
    This morning everything seemed fine. No blood. Someone had slept in the corner on the floor as there was poop there. All others were up on the roosts.
    Then an hour later there were two eggs in that corner!!!!! They didn't wait long to adjust!
    So far, so good. Thanks for the advice!

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by