New flock member

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JPoe, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JPoe

JPoe Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    Colorado
    Hi everyone,
    This is my first post on BYC as I am a relatively new chicken owner. I have had a flock of four chickens (originally six) for about ten months. I had some predator problems early on, but I believe my coop and run are secure now.

The reason I am writing is because I am planning on picking up a new chicken tomorrow from a coworker and this hen is missing a foot from a predator ordeal of her own. My question is, if this new hen gets around fine on her own and otherwise acts normal, will I have huge problems with introducing her to my original flock because of her deformity? I have one girl now that is missing much of her beak from a raccoon but does well eating and drinking and acts normal despite her odd appearance. She gets picked on by the head hen, but no harm is ever done. I'm just worried that a one-legged newcomer might suffer more bullying than the others. Any suggestions would be super helpful! Thanks!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

First, any new bird should be strictly quarenteened from the rest of your flock for 2-3 weeks, to prevent your chickens from becoming sick if she is carrying a disease. Sometimes the stress of moving to a new home can cause non-apparent infections to break out.

When you are sure she is healthy, no respiratory signs, no poo problems, no parasites, then place her in a smaller cage in or by your coop so the birds can all see and hear each other for at least a few days. When you do place them all together after the intro period, expect some fussing, but be ready to rescue her if things get too violent.

1 person likes this.
  3. JPoe

JPoe Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks for your help! I was definitely planning on keeping her inside for some time to make sure she's healthy (haven't mentioned that part to my fiance yet... [​IMG]). She came from a slightly earlier hatching at the same farm store, so I'm hoping there aren't any problems.

Since she only has one good foot, should I install a special roost for her? Maybe something wide for her to easily balance on?

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    A 2x4 board layed wide side flat makes the best perch for all regular sized birds, it allows them to relax without having to grip all the time and they can easily cover thier feet up in cold weather. She should be able to rest on one comfortably.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by