new flock not roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbunny, Aug 17, 2011.

1. kbunny

kbunny Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Chicago IL
    My birds are three months old, and yesterday we moved them from their brooder in the basement to their brand new coop. They seemed to acclimate pretty quickly - they're eating, scratching, preening, and all the normal chicken stuff.

The only thing is that they don't seem to be using their perches (which I must admit disappointed me as I was so proud of the nifty perches I built for them!). I know they are capable of using them as there have been a couple of brief explorations, mostly by the silver Wyandotte, who was also the first to use the small perch in the brooder. But at night they all just clustered into a corner and slept on the floor as they have been accustomed to doing.

I'm sure they probably just need some time to adjust to the new environment. Or maybe they'll be more apt to roost when they are full-grown? I know this is probably irrational, but I'm worried that they've somehow lost the roosting instinct because there wasn't much perch space in the brooder.

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    This is interesting. At three months, they should be roosting. I place little perches in my brooder and have had week old chicks roosts on them. I do have to add that my silkies do not roost at all, even on the lower bars. Maybe give them some time to become acclimated. Once one starts roosting, I am sure the others will join in. [​IMG]

3. kbunny

kbunny Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Chicago IL
    Hahaha!!! Just after posting this I went out for a twilight visit to the coop, and almost everyone was roosting enthusiastically! Talk about nervous newbie...[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by