new flock-one sneezer..video inc.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by getalab, Nov 26, 2013.

1. getalab

getalab New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    I've had my gals for one week now, and one of the BR's has had a sneeze since day 1. Not very frequent (it took 30 min to video one) and none of the others have started yet. I added ACV to their water today. Any other suggestions welcomed..
    *turn vol down, dog barking came out loud on vid.

[​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I would keep a eye on her and offer some vitamins..if you start to see mucus or a cough or wheeze I would then treat her with a antibotic geared toward respitory illness. Like tylan50.but for now watch her closely and give some vitamins.if it does progress and you need to treat dose for large birds is 1/2 cc small birds 1/4 cc given once daily into the breast muscle for 5 days. I hope this helps and wish you the best.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some chickens do sneeze for various reasons (dusty conditions, ammonia odor,) and in some of the milder respiratory diseases like infectious bronchitis, there will be sneezing along with a runny nose. If she develops thick nasal secretions, eye bubbles, eye or face swelling, or gurgling breathing, antibiotics may be needed. Diseases such as mycoplasma (CRD) and coryza are pretty serious infectious diseases, and all chickens become carriers. Here is a list of diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. getalab

getalab New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    Thx for replies..went to TSC and got some vitamin/electrolyte powder to add to water, and will watch from here. She does seem to have some mucous on her nose, but seems to feel fine, and is the friendliest of the bunch..should I switch back and forth from vitamin water and ACV water, or just stick with one? Mix Both?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd probably just give the vitamin water.

6. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    I have a few chickens that have that same sneeze, but my Sebright Bantams are doing it about every 10 seconds. I noticed it a few weeks ago when I went to move one at night and it gargled a little bit. They all have runny noses. Now my BLR Wyandotte cockerel and pullets are starting to act the same.

I'm not sure where to begin. I'm going to be adding cayenne powder to their food from now on this winter, and ACV in their water every day. I bought the Save-A-Chick and Electrolyte powders from Tractor Supply, too, a while back...will those do anything? I didn't see a vitamin one.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The Save-A-Chick will help keep their stress level down, which will help them recover from a respiratory disease. If the symptoms don't go away within a week or so, get antibiotics. Many respiratory diseases are bacterial, and won't go away without antibiotics. A good antibiotic is Tylan50, but Duramycin and oxytetracycline are fine, too.

8. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    As for the powders (or anything that is administered through water, I suppose), is it the same amounts even when you have ducks? I have about 25 chickens and 4 ducks all in one coop, but the ducks drink so much more than the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by