1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New flock owner in Indianapolis, Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kpollertindy, Jun 20, 2015.

1. kpollertindy

kpollertindy New Egg

Jun 20, 2015
    Building my flock over last several months. Began with 3 RIRs, 3 Black Sex Link. Recently added 2 Ameraucanas, and 2 White Leghorns. The RIRs and BSL are due to begin laying in about a month. The Ameraucanas and White Leghorns. Are few day old chicks and are in a brooding cage at this time. Once they get feathers, I plan on building on to coop a separate area so that they can be socialized with the older birds, but still stay safe. Looking forward to watching them grow and change and start laying eggs! The older one are beginning to warm up to me and will stand on my shoulder and east mulberries and mealworms out of my hand. Any suggestions about these combinations of birds, how to incorporate new birds in with the older birds would be helpful. I'm just beginning this, but learning a lot as I go thanks to this website and forums and research I have done on other sites.

2. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    :frow welcome to BYC !!

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
  4. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Welcome to BYC. Did you have a chance to check out the learning center (tab on top of page)? Everything you need to know for a first time chicken owner is right there. Good luck !

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have some excellent layers. Black Sex Links are my personal favorites as they are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from those three girls. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens

7. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] Glad to have you!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. newt1979

newt1979 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Indianapolis, IN
    Welcome, I live on the southeast side of Indy. I have 8 hen's, 2 roos, and 3 laying ducks and in the "City". Thanks for joining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by