New flock picking on hen

saggitt

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2019
Southwestern Ontario Canada
new coop, new birds. RTL four pullets. One Col x, 2 red link x and one Ameracana. Coop 4x8 covered run4 x 8. Three birds from one barn Amercauna from another barn all at hatchery. Home today all see eating drinking. First three birds all pecking at Amercauna. It’s hiding head in corner they peck body. Seems pretty quick issue for day one. Anything I can do?

new coop, new birds. RTL four pullets. One Col x, 2 red link x and one Ameracana. Coop 4x8 covered run4 x 8. Three birds from one barn Amercauna from another barn all at hatchery. Home today all see eating drinking. First three birds all pecking at Amercauna. It’s hiding head in corner they peck body. Seems pretty quick issue for day one. Anything I can do?
They need more space. A lot more would help. If she cannot get away from them, they will continue to peck her.

x2 more space - you're below the minimum recommendation for run space of 10 sq ft per bird (which I feel is too tight as it is), and more importantly, the lack of space means you can't add obstacles which are extremely helpful during integration and just to provide birds with options if there's some tension.

This thread has some great examples: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Three birds from one barn Amercauna from another barn all at hatchery.
So 4 birds total?
If so, coop is probably OK.
Run is small.....good advice above for that.
The Am is the 'stranger'.....not surprised she getting picked on.
How old are these birds?

Oh, and Welcome to BYC! @saggitt
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-17_9-11-24.png

Try adding obstacles, hiding places, and distractions. My run has a mirrior, I hang cabbage during introductions, hid mealworm in places, and give them a good dust bath. If all else fails, use a cage in the run as a barrier for introduction without blood and re-introduce at night when they are drowsy.

Back
Top Bottom