new flock??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DLS, Jan 15, 2009.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I am going to get a flock that is just shy of 1 yr old sex links. I have a flock that is just about the same age . how can I get them to be ok with each other & no fighting?

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    FIRST of all ---- QUARANTINE!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Be sure to protect your current flock by keeping the two flocks separate for 30 to 45 days!!! You can read MANY disaster stories in the forum from people who got chickens from "a friend", "a great neighbor", "a very nice person" -- only to have their flocks contaminated within days of mixing chickens!!! Sometimes it is only ONE hen or roo that put MANY chickens at risk!!!

In terms of mixing -- there WILL be fighting!!! There is no way that you can prevent it!!! Pecking order is the nature of the chick!!! You may be able to reduce the problem by putting the flocks in pens where they can see each other, but not get to each other for a week or two (after quarantine!!!!) -- kind of get use to each other. Also, make sure that you don't have too many Roos. There should be one roo for every 10 to 12 hens. It would help if you remove any "extra" roos before you try to put the flocks together!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Cindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by