New flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mozz, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Mozz

Mozz New Egg

May 25, 2010
    Ne PA
    New flock today thanks to hinkcj http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/
    They are mixed black orpinton and speckled sussex. Coup is small about 20 sq ft so we only got 4 hens and a rooster. In a few days i will let them out to explore, as we don't want to fence them in and should have a good supply of bugs and critters to suppliment thier diet. Only 1 pictuere as my camera keeps focusing on the screen or glare from the window. Rooster was loud for a few minutes straight then he quieted up. I want to thank Charlie and Jody for the help and all the helpful hints they gave us to get us started.
    [​IMG]

2. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Pretty birds!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Look at that comb on that rooster!

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] nice flock!!!!!

5. Mozz

Mozz New Egg

May 25, 2010
    Ne PA
    The chickens had a 70 mile ride to here. Took over an hour, highway and some back roads. It wasn't too hot today, maybe 65ish. We got home, backed along side of the house, then carried the pet carrier and the big box down to the coop. The hens hesitated a minute, then came out of the box and went into the coop. When we carried the pet carrier to the coop, the rooster didn't wait at all and climbed right on in, then the last hen behind him. We checked on them for a bit, ate dinner then went back outside. There was an egg in the nesting box already. So 1 in the fridge and hopefully when the granddaughter is here tomorrow there will be another for her to see. 2 years old she will be having a ball. The roost i made seems a little weak as it is bowing with 4 hens on it. The rooster was funny trying to get up there, he finally made it. The higher roost i made is not being used, maybe its too close to the wall or ceiling. Tomorrow i will modify a 2x4 and make them a new roost. So far so good, maybe some more pictures tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Thats quite a long trip ! But looks like its worth it. Are they producing yet?

7. Mozz

Mozz New Egg

May 25, 2010
    Ne PA
    Had 1 egg a few hours after they were in their new home, then this morning had another, so far so good. After reading, i guess you are best to not wash the eggs if not needed. I reinforced the first roost. They keep knocking over the plastic mason jar feeder, maybe they just don't like the color white? 2 more days and i will let them outside, hope they don't wander too far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by