New Flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by baadkyfarmers, Sep 19, 2011.

1. baadkyfarmers

baadkyfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Crestwood
    I recently purchased 4 golden comets, 2 brown leghorns, 2 buff orpingtons, and a barred rock. They were free range chickens from a local breeder now they are semi free range meaning only in a tractor. The have been blowing snot bubbles, after reading I took the straw out of the coop and put in pine & it seems to be helping. I didn't have nest boxes so I used a couple milk crates, they seemed to like to lay in them but I wasn't getting any eggs so back to the internet. After reading many posts I built nest boxes with pine in the floor and golf balls for inspiration. It has been almost 2 weeks now and still no eggs. Any suggestions? I am getting discouraged what else can I do?[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Many times it takes a while for chickens that have been moved to get back to laying. And if they are suffering from stress, hence the snotty noses, that will also delay the egg laying. I would give them time with the egg laying for a while. As far as the snotty noses, if it does continue, you may need to get them on antibiotics. Chickens gain immunity to things in their environment and when they are moved to a new ground, they have no defenses built up. So you might want to add vitamins to their water, ACV or even probiotics to help build them up to health. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by