New flockmate problems

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dhelton89, Oct 25, 2015.

1. dhelton89

dhelton89 New Egg

Sep 18, 2015
    Missouri
    I just started raising my own chickens this year and so far so good with a somewhat minnor issue. I started with a flock of 20 new hatchlings in feburary making them about nine months. In july I decided to introduce a nother 20 new hatchlings to increase my gene pool making them around three months. The two groups were introduced in a broader inside the coop when the younger chicks were four weeks. The problem I am seeing is after two months of living together it is as if I have two completely independent flocks. The nine month olds want nothing to do with the younger ones. Is this a problem as my younger flock has no roos for protection and will the two flocks ever become one? Thanks for any information.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Eventually, they should sort it out. My youngsters are still not standing up for themselves. They were hatched around Aug 9. Do they have a nice big run, or get out to free range? That should help a lot. Do you have more than one feeding station for them? Is the coop at least 4 s.f./bird, and the run at least 10 s.f./bird

3. dhelton89

dhelton89 New Egg

Sep 18, 2015
    Missouri
    They have a run now allowing arond 50 sqft per bird, they free range on the weekends. Have more than one feesing station but they are inside rhe coop. My coop oly allows about 2 sqft per bird with a second covered section outside the same size. When I was doing research to build the coop the specs I kwep coomin across were saying 10 sqft per bird in the run and 1 sqft per bird in the coop. Sense then I have found that my coop is undersized. I have plans to double thr size in the spring so maybe it will improve then. thanks for the reply

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Its likely that they will remain with their own friends for a long time. I'm not sure hanging out with "oldies" was my top priority when i was a teenager! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by