New, Florida chicken member

Ferngully

Crowing
15 Years
Nov 6, 2008
N.E. Florida
Hello all, I have to confess, I have been reading the forum now for 2 weeks (some nights no sleep, don't tell DH)
big_smile.png
I have researched so much and learned so much. Thank you all for having such a wonderful site.
After 10 years of living in the country on 2 acres, Dh said o.k. to chickens. Especially after I told him no he couldn't eat the expensive store eggs because I needed them for cooking.
wink.png
I use about 1-2 dozen a week.
The kids and I will be building our brooder, coop and run ourselves from whatever we can find in the closest town (45 minute drive). I have no carpentry skills so to speak so will be interesting to say the least. We did a drive through yesterday and found loads of goodies, now all we need is to get our little Nissan truck back from a friend. Wonder how many pallets I can get in the back at a time. lol.
My DS is excited, DD I don't think cares one way (wait til she holds chicks). The kids and I have plans to build walkways, benches, planters, raised garden beds, greenhouse, fence, etc from recycled pallets....My mind is flying with ideas. Still have to the search for the best deals on feed, pine bedding, and DE locally. Not too many places to pick from around here. We have feed stores but they are in the middle of town and are honestly not a feed store.
We have alot of site prep to do initialy, we tend to get waterfront property during heavy rains, I think if we dig a lake (2 shovels between the 3 of us) in the back and put the dirt in the areas we need it we will be ok. Don't know if DH will help with any of this, will have to wait and see (like when the kids and I cut down 20 big pine trees with a pruning saw, lol oops, he had to buy a chain saw then to cut them up). The fence will be fun because then I get to say, see I told you, you weren't cutting our whole property line.
Looking for other Fl. people and their coop ideas, doesn't seem to be many though, even around here.

Welcome Ferngully There are alot of people here in Florida. We are in Taylor county just south of Tallahassee. We have two coops one we bought a 8 x 10 shed and converted it into a coop, the other my son built. That one is hugh it is 12 x 22 ft It is divided into three so I can have different breeds. We are having a show the weekend of the 15 in Inverness and also having a swap,sell,trade in Gainesville on the 22. Your welcome to attend and meet some of the Florida folks. Check out the section on Swapmeets and Poultry shows and you will see all the details Again Welcome Micki

Thanks for the welcome
Eggz...lol Didn't think anyone remembered that movie, I think we have effectively gone through 4 VHS copies and probably 6 DVDs of it.
Our first bit of property was completely covered in ferns when the movie came out and my daughter named it that......then when they found out mom made things grow.....like 8 year old vegetable seeds....lol it stuck even more.
Micki Have never been to a swap, show or auction for animals, lol could be fun or very dangerous, depends on how you look at it and who is holding the paddle and wallet.
lol.png

Have to map Inverness, know where Gainesville is......I am about 15 miles from the ocean as the crow fly, or in this case the sea gulls.

Just went out to walk the property, to get a better idea of placement of things...ummmm DH might get mad if I cut down more trees, he said I couldn't use his lean-to because it buts up against our storage shed and well, he wants the chickens nowhere near it. How far should they be away from the well in Florida soil?

My coop isnt that far from the well maybe 30-50 feet. I haven't been to a chicken show either it will be a first Thiis one is a double show I have heard they are alot of fun. The swap meet isn't an auction just a group of people meeting and swaping or trading or selling their extras. I have heard there will be chicks there as well. I am not looking for anything in partiicular but you never know. We started out with a very small flock DH bought them at 20 weeks Then this past year my daughter and I ordered chicks That has been fun I can't get over how you feel when you see them grow up We now have over 100 chickens several different breeds lol My favorites are cochins but the orpingtons come in a very close second. Now I just might take a cage or two to the show to see whats there but I am not really looking lol
Oh yeah we are only 1 1/2 miles from the gulf and have very sandy soil

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! What community are you exactly? I am in Panama City, Fl. Bayou George to be exact. North part of Bay county. There is a very addictive Auction Every night in Graceville FL. Heard they are starting up another one in Bonifay too. I go often. They do every kind of poultry, from Geese, to Quail to peacocks to cocketiels. And lots of chickens, the occasional turkeys and pheaseants, doves and pidgeons. Also do Swine, Sheeps and goat the same night. LOTS AND LOTS Of chickens. You find alot of interesting things there.

We are located between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach. We have very sandy soil as well.

Spoke with DH when he made it home, gave my confessions...lol, he was pleased when I told him I found a way to "keep the chicks from smelling", our only exposure was at the county fair, and man we had to run out of that barn area. Kind of put us off getting any for many years.
We visited a local lady 2 weeks ago who has a multitude of rare breeds (22 different ones if I recall correctlyand atleast 300 chickens), they were all so beautiful and no smell, and such beautiful eggs. It was then that I made my decision. (I wonder if in the spring I can get some babies from her she had some Araucanas, Cuckoo Marans, I was eye balling lol) I may need to order the EE and Astraulorp chicks though. Oh decisions, decisions.........

I like that plan take a cage with the intent of looking, I don't think I could contain myself. But, I know at this time, no home means no chicks. I have no idea how long it will take me to get everything ready, usually much longer than I plan, is usually the case.

Ferngully Our big coop is built directly on the sand. My son dug down 2 feet when he built the coop He used metal siding that was given to us. I have noticed that there is no smell in the coop. To clean it out I usually just rake out the poop and old feathers I use a screen to shake off the excess sand and poof its clean The dirt goes into the compost pile and the coop and runs are clean. If you make sure your coop has good ventilation you should not have a smell. I have black Australopes but they are just starting to lay. I also have orpingtons,Polish and cochins. In the small coop we have a mixed flock of speckled sussex, Americanas, and sexlinks We also have a whole bunch of Banties. They are mixed bt we do have some Black tailed Japanese and some others If yoiu want to see chickens check out www.feathersite.com go to their poultry page and really enjoy. Micki

Back
Top Bottom