1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Florida Chicken Owner! Any advice?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bufforpington21, Sep 20, 2015.

1. bufforpington21

bufforpington21 New Egg

Sep 20, 2015
    I'm new to owning chickens, today I got my first ones, four buff orpingtons. They aren't quite ready to lay yet, as they are quite small, but I've done my research, so I know how to take good care of them. Any advice for this beginner? I was also wondering about how to bond with your chickens, to get them to like you and stuff.

2. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! Welcome! [​IMG] Congratulations on your new pullets! Older pullets can be harder to tame than if you started handling them as babies, but Buffs have a very sweet friendly nature. I used rolled oats and freeze dried meal worms to tame the older batches I got. I sprinkled them around my feet and soon they were eating from my hand and would jump in my lap. It's easier when they get to laying age, they should "squat" for you which allows you to pick them up and do a little taming. Here's a link you might find helpful. Best of luck! https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=how+to+tame+chickens+

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

And congrats on your new flock! The way to a chicken's heart is through it's stomach...once they figure out you are the "bearer of all good things to eat", they will get friendlier.

Thanks for joining us!

4. bufforpington21

bufforpington21 New Egg

Sep 20, 2015
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I read what they like to eat, and so far, they're in love with grapes. I'll definitely get some of the worms.

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You should make them work a little for the grapes. I mean come closer, so you could gently pet them etc.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. BuffaloridaGirl

BuffaloridaGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I always start the morning drinking coffee with my chickens roaming around on the back porch. They will grow accustomed to being around you. Also, every night I call "Ladies!!!" and I shake the red bag of "party mix" (dried mealworms and cracked corn) and they come running like a bunch of dogs. It's hysterical!! But it's so nice that they come in and get in the coop so easily. Never any problems! Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by