New Florida resident and wanting chickens :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Coffeelover35, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Coffeelover35

Coffeelover35 New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    We were awarded a house in florida...Sarasota Co. from a non-profit that works with wounded military men and women and the first thing I looked up was the laws for chickens. Super excited me I can have 4 chickens and hubby agrees with me!

My questions are the following and any help would be greatly appreciated since I am new to this.

1) Which chickens lay the best eggs and are a sturdy breed. I want chickens that are hardy and won't have issues outside of possible predators which that will be addressed with their coop and run once built.

2) Which chickens lay brown eggs?

3) In southern Florida it's a mix temp we have some cold nights and warm nights the weather isn't to drastic and want to make sure that I am doing right by the chickens I will be getting in the near future.

4) Is there certain things I need to feed them to make sure they get all the nutrients that they need to stay healthy and strong and lay good eggs?

5) Is there any foods that I need to make to sure to stay clear of for my future feather babies?

Any information and help would be greatly appreciated...I'm super excited!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have a Military Veteran with us [​IMG]

Wish you well in all your endeavors [​IMG]

A good place for you to go is the learning center here at BYC [​IMG]

If you look at our buy-sell-trade you should be able to find local sellers [​IMG]

But in order to use the buy-sell-trade you will need 20 post but this can
    be accomplished by just saying hello to 20 newcomers [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum - you can locate and post on your state thread. This should bring you in contact with people who may be locally selling the breeds of interest to you. They can also speak with authority on what type of coop, run etc. you need. I would imagine your biggest challenge for any breed is surviving hot, humid weather. Your cold period would be considered mild in any other area of the country - so wouldn't worry about that.

People in your state can best advise you on what feed stores have the best brands and prices, avian vets, if you need one, etc. Generally chicks are on starter/grower feed- as they approach "point of lay," they would be switched to layer mix. Layers need the added calcium, chicks & roosters do not.

There is much information in the Learning center, and also the Raising backyard chickens forum, that should meet your needs for quite awhile.

1 person likes this.
  5. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. I agree with Bantamlover21.

9. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    study coop ideas,
    there is not a chicken that can survive a predator attack (especially at night).
    BYC is an amazing site for sturdy coop ideas that will keep out everything but bears and big cats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by