New fluff's of joy

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chilling in muscadine, Jul 11, 2008.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I don't mean to bragg [not] but I have 3 of the most beautiful newbie's ever. I just happened to check on 6 hen's sitting on 3 nest [crazy chicken's] and found 1 baby in each nest. They were not due until tomorrow. I left 1 baby with her mother's in one coop but in another coop took 2 babie's out. In that coop something keep's happening to the babie's so I've started taking them out. This will be a long night and I've got new batteries in my flashlight. I think what is happeneing is the hen's are fighting over the babie's and the babie's end up hurt or dead. Wish me luck saving all in that coop. I have egg's due to hatch in the bator on the 16th. I've thought about putting baby monitor's in the coop I'm having trouble with. I could get to that coop in maybe 30 second's. Anybody else have trouble with 2 hen's sharing a nest and babie's paying the price?[​IMG]

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    yeah!!

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Typically it doesn't work well. Even hens that are best of friends prior to babies, can become posessive, jealous and mean after they have babies. I would separate them before the babies get pecked to death. JMHO

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I'm just taking the babie's out of that coop as soon as they are dry. The hen's don't seem to mind and at the moment I don't have an extra coop to seperate them. Wish me luck. I'm having load's of fun playing with the babie's. PEACE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by