New Fly Discovered in Thailand....How Do I Get Rid of It?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thailand, Nov 24, 2012.

1. thailand

thailand Chillin' With My Peeps

I've noticed swarms of tiny flying bugs in my chicken coop the last couple of days. These bugs crawl over the faces of my chickens and rabbits. I stuck some to tape and looking at them under a magnifying glass discovered they have wings and appear to be flies. Further research showed Thailand (where I live) now has a new species of very tiny fly. Just my luck! Still battling malaria carrying mosquitoes, and now this!

Can anyone please tell me the very best way to get rid of these miniscule flies (the size of this period .).

All help appreciated.

2. thailand

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

But for the fire ants..... [​IMG]

4. thailand

yes! Kill the fire ants!!!!

If it's not one thing it's another. Is raising chickens really meant to be this hard??? [​IMG]

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have any algae or other green fungus-like growths in or around your chickens' watering dish(es)? Do you have a damp compost pile near the chicken coop or any other dampened plants (not including weeds) around the coop? Do you have any wild or planted mushrooms in a garden nearby?

What time of day do you usually see them and where do they like to hang out the most? I know you said they're flying around your chickens' faces but where do these bugs seem to congregate the most?

How close is your chicken coop to water? [IE not a swimming pool] (like a lake or pond, swamp, etc)?

It could be these new flies you have there, but they could also be a whole host of other things - like the bazillion different kinds of gnats and flies, etc.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by