New Flying Mallard Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Karliscoop, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Karliscoop

Karliscoop New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    South Louisiana
    As you can tell from the pics, I have a family that is constantly growing. Aside from these, I also have 8 fish, a pomeranian named sophia, and a yellow hunting lab named drake. I have been wanting some ducks so I purchased 4 baby flying mallards yesterday. They are the cutest things ever! Well, aside my 7 baby chicks I also have at the moment. I have my chicks and ducklings seperated under the heat lamp and have them both set up with the same chick/duckling starter feed and their water containers. I am so excited to start their set up. I'm not sure if it is to put a plastic kiddy pool for when they get a little older or if I should set up my water garden pond kit and turn it into their "pond"? Are there any tips or hints that you can offer me for my daughters' ducklings? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello from Kansas. We just purchased our first set of ducklings two days ago and they are so cute!

3. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I have a kiddie pool for my mallards and they love it. And it's easy to empty and fill again. Aren't they precious??

4. Karliscoop

Karliscoop New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Hey guys and gals[​IMG] Aside from all my many pets, I also have two daughters (7 & 3yrs old) ! Just when I was getting used to the thought of only having to tend to my two girls alone, I added what seems like an endless list of pets! BUT, I LOVE it! I am really interested in purchasing an incubator. I think that letting my girls get to watch them hatch would be simply amazing! Outside I appear to be a "city girl" but on the inside I was born and raised a country girl from South Louisiana! I love to be outdoors with the kids, pets, fishing, hunting, ect. I served 8 Years in the Army and have decided to get out last July. I have always wanted a farm! ALWAYS!! I live in the country on a couple of acres but unfortunalely the property I am on is my parents so I cannot just build a farm smack dab in the middle of it. [​IMG] I have been having one chicken for a year and decided to add to the coop. I now have a total of 7 chicks and 4 mallard ducklings. I am very interested in ANY advice or helpful hints to make me and my girls new babies happy and healthy! I will most likely start them off in a plastic toddler pool for now until I can get something more permanent for all of us to be able to build as "I" see fit. I recently learned that chickens fave human snacks are cereal, boiled spagetti noodles, and fresh chopped fruits. I tried to give princess some but she looked at me like I was crazy. Guess shes not up to trying new things. LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by