New foods?

You CAN do it any time as long as you are also feeding age specific sized grit.
However, I don't give anything other than chick starter and grit till long after they are free ranging. I may offer some other things at about 3 or 4 months.
Anything you give will supplant the optimal nutrition in chicken feed.
If you must give things, along with fruits and vegetables don't omit animal protein in the form of meat, fish, crickets, mealworms. After all, chickens are omnivores.

I'm basically with ChickenCanoe, but start somewhat earlier. Corn is a high-calorie, relatively low nutrition food (basically candy). Offer treats relatively sparingly (~10%) and consider higher nutrition treats. Mine went nuts for scrambled/hard-boiled egg when very young and still enjoy it as a treat periodically as adults.

I'm basically with ChickenCanoe, but start somewhat earlier. Corn is a high-calorie, relatively low nutrition food (basically candy). Offer treats relatively sparingly (~10%) and consider higher nutrition treats. Mine went nuts for scrambled/hard-boiled egg when very young and still enjoy it as a treat periodically as adults.

This is our third year/batch of chicks, and the first two went nuts for hard boiled eggs. This year's batch? Not remotely. It's almost comical how awful they found it. (Our adults still love it at least.)

Back
Top Bottom