New forumer.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KevinHanses, Sep 12, 2011.

1. KevinHanses

KevinHanses Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Six Lakes, Mi
    Hello,

Name's Kevin. I'm 23 and from Mid-Michigan.

Grew up around farms and just started with chickens.
    Bought 18 chicks in April, and all survived. Until the mother-in-law took 6 and neighbor's dog got a couple.

Finally got the coop and run done in the last two weekends. (Kind of bought the apples before the crate).

So far, it's been a fun challenge. I'll get some pictures up sooner or later.

Hope to learn a lot from everyone on here.

-Kevin

2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    [​IMG] from South Carolina.. ( I grew up in Grand Rapids for my young childhood)

don't feel bad I did the same thing.. I did study and figure out somewhat what breeds I wanted.. bought them in march,. I really expected my family to jump in and help me out on building a coop.. but alas... nope... [​IMG] so mine are safe and healthy in a 4x12 dog kennel that I have triple tarped, they had a dog house with shavings for a nest box. which they love.. [​IMG] yeahh... and they go outside in the yard everyday. and I am so happy I got them.. [​IMG]

they are addictive though.. soon you too will learn chicken math.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have learned so much from BYC fellow chicken keepers they are a wealthy of knowledge.. find your state thread and You will never feel alone. take advantage of chickenstocks and swaps even if you don't buy but to learn more.. and learn your breeds.

this year I bought a mixture to figure out which breeds I liked the best I wanted a variety of egg color and size.. I lucked out and got 1 barred Holland.. and LOVE the breed this spring I am planning on getting about 20 more Barred Hollands.. [​IMG]

good luck in your new adventure.. hope to see you on the threads..

)O(
    Pink

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome from NY!!

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    [​IMG] from NC! My best
    friend is from Taylor.

5. KevinHanses

Sep 12, 2011
    Six Lakes, Mi
    Quote:I ended up building my coop 6x8x6 without my level or square. It leans a little, but you can't tell without a level.

I started out with 12 RIR and 6 BA, and now have 3 RIR hens, 1 BA hen, 1 BO hen, 3 No idea hens, and 1 Phoenix rooster.
    Getting 5 eggs a day so far.

Next year I'll probably end up expanding the coop and run because my girlfriend is a chicken addict. As well as horses and any other animal that breathes.

Cornflakes - our long lost favorite rooster [​IMG], and Henrietta - the boss hen.
    [​IMG]

Daisy - the queen of the chickens (Girlfriend's daughter)
    [​IMG]

Leroy - the new rooster in town.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:I ended up building my coop 6x8x6 without my level or square. It leans a little, but you can't tell without a level.

I started out with 12 RIR and 6 BA, and now have 3 RIR hens, 1 BA hen, 1 BO hen, 3 No idea hens, and 1 Phoenix rooster.

Next year I'll probably end up expanding the coop and run because my girlfriend is a chicken addict. As well as horses and any other animal that breathes.

Cornflakes - our long lost favorite rooster [​IMG], and Henrietta - the boss hen.
    http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...21166458973_1542045696_32367561_4433580_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...75888887062_1542045696_32303911_8095111_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...128777971_1542045696_32485183_629940205_n.jpg

Are your three I don't know chickens the black ones in the Pic with Daisy? do they look like Crows in the face. I have a IDK pullet that is 4 moths old still not laying but she has a very crow looking face.. I think.. think mind you that she is a australorp.. not sure? Gloria is very small for her age. she was a runt then she dislocted her hip and was cage bound for 4 weeks. now perfectly healthy and happy but small and not laying..

congrats on getting steady eggs. Im not getting steady yet.. I keep telling the girls what is expected of them but just like kids in one ear and out the other.. hahah

)O(

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. KevinHanses

Sep 12, 2011
    Six Lakes, Mi

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...21166458973_1542045696_32367561_4433580_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...75888887062_1542045696_32303911_8095111_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...128777971_1542045696_32485183_629940205_n.jpg

Are your three I don't know chickens the black ones in the Pic with Daisy? do they look like Crows in the face. I have a IDK pullet that is 4 moths old still not laying but she has a very crow looking face.. I think.. think mind you that she is a australorp.. not sure? Gloria is very small for her age. she was a runt then she dislocted her hip and was cage bound for 4 weeks. now perfectly healthy and happy but small and not laying..

congrats on getting steady eggs. Im not getting steady yet.. I keep telling the girls what is expected of them but just like kids in one ear and out the other.. hahah

)O(

No, those in the picture with Daisy, are RIR and BA. The 3 IDK ones we just got the other night. I'll have pictures up of em soon.

They are in rough condition right now. The place we got them from was way too over crowded for the number of chickens and space allocated. IMO anyways. They were all tore up from fighting each other.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Nice pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by