New Foster Dog - Haggard

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mountain Man Jim, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone,

Meet Hagird!

[​IMG]

He’s a new dog that we are fostering but, really I hope to adopt the big lug. He’s a 10 month old Landseer. Wish us luck, he starts his chicken training tomorrow. That’s going to be really interesting because he’s at difficult point in his maturity. 1) He’s really big but, still puppy like. So, hard to control. 2) He really wants to get a chicken. Not sure if that’s because he wants to kill a chicken or just play; either way that needs to not happen. 3) He was return to the animal shelter because he was harassing the family cat. Again we’re not sure if that’s because he was aggressive or just too much puppy for the cats.

Here he is playing with the rest of the pack.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Oh my gosh he is so stinkin cute. I would so adopt him if I didn't already have six pet dogs and one foster dog.

3. Mountain Man Jim

Opps, I spelled Hagrid wrong. It’s supposed to be like Hagrid from Harry Potter.

Jim

4. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I so hope he works out for you...

Maye

Ride the Glide.....Got Gait.....I Do.....

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow what a gorgeous dog! He looks like one from an old painting. Good luck with him!

6. Mountain Man Jim

Hey you'll,

Thought I'd update everyone on Hagrid’s progress. He's been with us for a week now and his chicken training has progressed to a level 2 1/2 or so. That's based on my puppy training levels if you're familiar with that. Basically, this means he's segregated from the chickens for most of the time except for supervised walks in the backyard to go potty and to socialize with/around the chickens. The distance that he wanders from me is up to 10 paces. Today I accidentally left him out in the yard with the chickens unsupervised for maybe 15 min.; all was fine.

He still needs a bunch of work. He's very interested in the chickens. He stares too much at them and has chases a few. So, we still have a month or so to work on this big guy. But, I do believe that he's made good progress for being so excitable and playful. One thing that I swear helps is having an established pack of mature dogs that completely ignore the birds. They serve as both role models and adult playmates for working out that puppy playfulness.

Thanks for listening,

Jim

7. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Sounds like you are doing a great job with him, he is very nice looking, I hope he finds a lovely home when you have worked your magic with him

8. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Ooooh just remembered you said you wanted to keep him, hope you do X

9. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Pretty!

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

What a handsome dog! Looks like he's well worth the effort!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by