New foster dog - pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by GalloFino, Dec 23, 2010.

1. GalloFino

GalloFino Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Mexico
    My family has a new foster dog!

[​IMG]

Meet Chula! We picked her up from the rescue group yesterday morning. I gave her a bath in the afternoon and she spent about an hour afterwards cleaning herself like a cat...that's when I snapped that pic.

She's been living at the dog rescue for about 6 months, just learning that not all people want to hurt her. Now she's with us to learn how to be a family dog. At some point one of her back legs was broken and left to heal on its own...she doesn't have any pain in it but doesn't have much flexibility in the knee. We're going to get x-rays next week to see whether it will be possible to do any kind of repair, and check out her hips at the same time, as they seem a bit loose to me, and she will also be spayed.

She is a real love and we've been having a lot of fun with her! It's so exciting to see these street dogs turn into the dogs they should have been all along.

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG]

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Absolutely gorgeous dog. I thank you for fostering this dog! [​IMG]

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    How cute! She looks adorable! Also, thank you for fostering! I wish more people had the time and desire to do so!! [​IMG]

5. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Congrats!
    She is going to be a handful. [​IMG]

6. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    [​IMG]

Sounds like she's in good hands now. You're an angel.

7. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Thank you! Ernest (our rescue) thanks you.

A sincere thank you to all the foster families out there who take in rescue animals!

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    She's lovely! And thank you for taking her in [​IMG]

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What a pretty girl! Shepherds and shepherd mixes are such great dogs. She's lucky to have your help.

10. GalloFino

GalloFino Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Mexico
    Thanks much for all the lovely comments. [​IMG] Chula's a really good girl and is learning very quickly. She's going to make a great addition to some lucky family!

Any tips on getting good photos of a dog with this coloring from you shepherd / tervuren / etc people would be appreciated! We have to do all we can to help her put her best foot forward when looking for an adoptive home.

Regarding fostering...I really get much more out of it than I put into it, both in terms of warm fuzzy feelings about doing some good and in terms of increasing my knowledge of animal behavior and training. It's great! I found this web site because we had a rescued rooster to fix up and re-home and knew nothing at all about chickens, so needed some help, quick! But dogs are my first love and we have been rescuing and re-homing dogs and cats in need in our immediate neighborhood since we moved to Mexico. This is my first time working with this rescue organization, they didn't exist when we moved here, but they are up and running now and doing a lot of good work, including introducing the public to the "crazy" concept that yes, male dogs should be altered too! [​IMG] The rescue organization actually helped us, via Facebook, to find a great adoptive home for the rooster, so now we're fostering a dog for them to say thanks. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a working relationship between us and the rescue group, if not, we'll just keep on doing what we've been doing in our immediate neighborhood. There's an expression in Spanish about what can be accomplished if everyone lifts their own grain of sand.

Feliz noche buena y navidad a todos. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by