New found love for chickens...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WasabiChicki, May 11, 2010.

1. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    Hey there from Nor Cal!

I found this site after searching "baby chick, injured, panting" for the last hour...

I have 7 chick that are about 6-8 weeks old. They joined our family pretty abruptly one week ago when the 48 chicks at my son's school
    had to go ASAP.

I've been trying to talk the family into getting chickens for at least two years so I am sooooo excited they are here! (But totally not prepared.)

We have 1 buff Orpington, 2 Leghorns, 2 Barred/Plymouth Rock crosses, 1 Red (she's my emergency right now!), and one very pretty chick (Barred rock maybe?).

So, with that said, I am grateful to have found ya'll and am sure I will be here often with a million questions! (Like why is this poor little red chick panting all day????)

Have a wonderful evening, and Happy belated Mother's Day to all the Mamas! [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    welcome to the world of chickens! I don't know what your are using to keep them in, but is there any chance that the one chick is just hot?

4. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    Hi thanks so much for asking!
    She's not hot... I've had them outside this whole week & it's been quite cool.
    at night they are in a temporary coop: 6x4 feet, framed & sided with plywood, open top that we're covering at night w/ a tarp.

I thought maybe coccidiosis, (runny poop) so I separated her into a large dog kennel in the house but she's panting inside and outside (we go to the garden for a couple hours a day)
    and she's just lifeless. I took the babes off medicated feed as soon as i got them, 7 days ago, and she started acting like this about 3 days ago. She eats & drink but won't move much
    except in the evening when she gets "chirpy"... I think she's lonely.

All the others are growing and exploring like crazy... gotta get our run finished! Rite now we just take them all on walks to the garden in the morning.

I was thinking maybe this one got injured?? She is lifting her right foot off the ground occasionally... I put Rescue Remedy in her water today.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  5. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    [​IMG] from AZ! Good to have you [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. We will need more info on the panting chick. What are you feeding? %, Bedding? What temp? Any other symptons? Post this in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries section. You should get more help there. Good Luck. [​IMG]

7. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. Joey8765

Joey8765 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Australia
    Welcome To BYC From Australia! [​IMG]

9. Mama&thePeeps

Mama&thePeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Tennessee
    Welcome to BYC, new chick family from CA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by